Bookcase damaged in transit

WendyJane

Dec 8, 2011
I bought a bookcase online and when delivered it was badly damaged (unusable it doesn't stand up) the seller firstly offered to sent me a new cornice piece to stick on myself and £30 as a good will gesture. I wasn't happy with that so now they suggest I send it back (at my cost)and they make a new one. It took over a month to recieve the 1st one and I desperate to get one asap. What should I do??

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
WendyJane

Firstly, if damaged goods are delivered and you know they are damaged at the front door then you should reject them outright there and then and refuse to accept them. That way the seller will have to pay delivery costs.

The law states that you have a reasonable time to inspect goods. If they turn out to be damaged then you can reject them for a full refund including delivery. You only have a reasonable time to reject the goods. There is no fixed time on 'reasonable', it is what an independant person would consider reasonable in the circumstances. After that you will be deemed to accepted them. From your post is appears that you more or less rejected them when you noticed damage.

Also under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling ) Regulations 2000 you can reject goods bought without the benefit of seeing them in the shop within 7 days, starting the day after delivery. They do not have to be damaged to reject them.

Without further information on time scales it appears than you have the option of repair, refund or replacement and you should not pay for sending the goods back. Inform the seller that you are rejecting them and you want them to collect the wardrobe.

If they will not, come back with more info (time limits) and we will try and help.