Chips Away - Bodywork repairs

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
Ok, this is a long weird one so bear with me please!

I had some minor damage to my car well over a year ago... a small dent and some scrapes along the rear wing. I had a 'Chips Away franchise' chap quote for it. He said he could do the dent and paintwork for £129.

I duly went ahead with the work and wasn't overwhelmed with the result. Firstly, the dent couldn't be repaired by him (he said) because there was already filler in it (???). Secondly, the paint he used did not match my car at all.

I had him come back another day to have another go at it. He did the paintwork again (managed to spill it all over the drive too) and this time it was slightly better. I stupidly thought it would improve as it 'dried' or whatever but it didn't. Over time, it looked worse and worse and there was no way it was matching. People started to comment. To make matters worse, he had attempted to blend his horrid paint in and had blended it onto the rear door (which had no damage previously) and the rear bumper (and even managed to spray the black mouldings). Again, this horrific blending seemed to worsen with time.

Before I continue, remember that I was quoted £129 to fix the dent and the paint and yet I paid £129 for the paint only (I STUPIDLY forgot at the time).

Soooooo, a good year later I could cope no more with the mess of my car and I took it to a bodyshop who quoted me hundreds to respray the wing (which had only had some minor scratches to start with!!), the rear door and the rear bumper (which had both been ruined by this fool 'blending' his shoddy work). I have had the work completed by the other garage and it looks marvellous now but I just wondered if I had any cause to complain to the chap who did the original work????? I have kept photographs of his 'efforts' to show just how bad it got.

If you have made it this far, well done!!! Thanks so much for any advice
Cheers
Deb

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I thought I had replied to this Littledeb, sorry.

I need to use one of these companies - looks like I will have to pay full whack at a bodyshop.

Anyway, yes it would be reasonable to get your money back and the damage put right. However, there might be an issue regarding the amount of time that has elapsed.

How long ago did this happen? And did you make your complaint known at the time? If so, do you have a record of this? Hopefully, the answer isn't ten years ago and no.

Tony