private seller seeking advice

Hobsher

Dec 26, 2011
I advertised my Volvo S60 T5 for sale on eBay for £2600. Gentleman offered to buy the car for £2400 with tax. he agreed to post money via pal as a deposit. he didn't and then came back to three days later offering £2300 which I agreed but made an assumption he didn't want the tax. he paid £200 deposit via pay pal. Last week he travelled downtown my house which is appx 250 miles from his house. He spent well over an hour listening to the car and then I drove him to the petrol station to fill up with petrol and then back to my house. He paid the remaining money and drove home. The next morning he noted e tax was missing. I hadn't agreed the sale with tax and the sale of receipt didn't agree it either. Consumer direct said he should have checked it had tax as part of the sale and I didnt need to give it to him he threatended me with the police and would visit my house so I agreed to refund £80 of the remaining tax. He confirmed he received it and the car had got him home okay. Two days later he is now threatening to sue me unless I pay for a damaged ECU. The car was fine when it left my house and had an MOT the week before and the garage knew I was selling it so gave it a once over and all was okay including emissions. The guy made it home 250 miles without a problem but two days latter he is threatening me. He says as I signed a receipt of sale saying the car was mechanically sound he has the right to ask for compensation/refund. Please note I am a private seller and old him a good car I have used for the last two years without any problems. I listed everything correctly on the advert on eBay ie mileage, owners, condition etc. The advert had closed when he bought it and he paid £200 by PayPal and £2100 cash. Any advice would be appreciated.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I shouldn't think he has a case here, what would be to your advantage would be to get a report from the garage who checked over the car proving it was sound at the time you sold it.

He's had the facts and the chance to look the car over and to ride in iit before he bought it, unless he can prove you did something to prove you were misselling the car, which he can't from what you've told us, then you have done what you had to do.

His only option is the small calims court so that report could be quite important, not sure he will do it but you should be prepared.

Good luck and let us know how you go on.