Bought my car almost 2 years ago from a private seller, just got repossessed

esad

Feb 2, 2012
I bought my car just under two years ago, from a private seller. I have a V5 and I am the registered owner and keeper of the vehicle.
Just before 11pm last night, 2 guys repossessed my car. Police were present and they didnt even bother to listen. Shocking. They didnt even let me empty my car. Two kids seats, buggy, shopping, tomtom....all in the car.
I live in Scotland, please help.

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
ASorry about the delay, needed to check one or two things first, sorry the news isn't better either.

I am making the assumption here that it was repossessed because of outstanding finance from the previous owner, the situation is that while there is outstanding finance on a car, the finance company have a claim on the car, and it is the person who sold it to you, not the finance company or debt collectors who are responsible for your loss.

I think the only options open to you are either to pay off the outstanding finace under agreement with the finance comapny (which means in effect you are paying for the car twice) or try to recover your money from the seller through the small claims court.

It's an awful situation and very wrong, something that needs sorting in law I think.