kitcken rights

cathgrab

Feb 2, 2012
I purchased new kitchen doors at a cost of £1800 to supply and fit. After 10 months the doors started to fall apart. I complained as the freezer door and fridge door warped and they said that they would replace them. This took over eight weeks i expressed my concern about the quality at the time. The Kitchen is now only two years old and is in a sorry state, all of the doors are starting to warp and the backing is coming away from the fronts with cracks starting down the sides. My husband complained today that the doors are not fit for purpose and will need to be replaced, doors only had a one year warrenty as that is all that was offered. They said they would call us back today and did not. Can anyone tell me my rights regarding this. There are only two adults in the house and the kitchen hardly gets used as we are out all day.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
Youre opting for the wrong route with fitness for purpose, you wish. To pursue Satisfactory Quality - still within the Sale of Goods Act though, as the purpose of a door is to open and close, not to open and close and not peel from the backing etc , if this makes sense...
To prove that goods are of satisfactory quality, there are a number of factors to conform with, one of which is durability.. Where these doors clearly fail.

If the company agree that it is due to their own fault, you can easily get replacements fitted free of charge, (I assume a repair is out of the question) or alternatively you can request a partial refund - partial to account for the time you've had them in fine order.

Keep pursuing the retailer, if phone calls never transpire, send a letter to the company, stating all the facts of your situation, state the law (SOGA) and what is required, and state what you wish to be done, and give a deadline to hear back from them, and tell them that if they fail to meet the deadline you shall pursue legal action.

Send the letter by recorded means (for proof of delivery), and also keep a copy of the letter for your own keeping.

If you need any assistance, feel free to ask here.
Adam

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Also forgot to mention, warranty or not, it's regardless as it would not be reasonably expected for kitchen doors at that price to be in the state that they are after just 2 years of use.

cathgrab

Feb 2, 2012
Hi thank you for the info, I will go down the route that you mentioned. I called them this morning and spoke to a girl who asked me if I use my extractor and if the damage has been caused by heat then it is basically not their problem. I explained that I have always used the extractor fan when cooking and that the kitchen gets minimal use as only two adults in the house and we both work all day and she replied that if units are heat damaged then they will charge me to replace them. Now my thinking on this is that the units are sub standard quality, my dishwasher is on the other side at the far end of the kitchen and is integrated with one of these doors and is all warped and starting to peel, so in my opinion the extractor would have had no bearing on that. The girl has said that someone will come out Monday evening but by her attitude I don't think they are going to be very receptive to my complaint