Reconditioned engine failed

engine replacement

Feb 3, 2012
Hi I am hoping for some advice -

A year ago my Mazda MPV suffered an engine failure. I purchased an exchange recon engine online for £1299 + £90 delivery (paid by Paypal) from a reconditioning house trading on Ebay. The engine came with a year warranty (parts only as I had it fitted by my local garage - it would have been parts & labour if fitted by them).

Now after 9 months and 8000 miles, that engine has failed, the RAC breakdown and my local garage suspect piston failure. The suppliers have asked me to "get the car recovered to us, we can therefore have a look at it and advise of the damage and discuss etc". I have been quoted £350 for the recovery by a local company.

So my question is, do I have any statutory protection other than the reconditioning house parts guarantee? I now not only face a bill for recovering the vehicle from Cornwall to Manchester (and having to collect it after the repair/replacement) but expect them to want paying for the labour - it cost about £800 to fit in the recon engine in the first instance...

If anyone has any advice before I commit myself by sending the vehicle away, I would be most grateful. Thanks...