Burst pipe Am i covered?

annep

Feb 10, 2012
Hi
My first post. I did not know where else to turn. My father died last year and we have been emptying the house out ready for sale. My brother informed the insurance company (co-op) that he had died and they informed him that we would not hav ecover of the house was 'unoccupied' for more than 60 days consecutively. Because we regularly stay there at the weekends and sometimes during the week we assumed this had never been the case. Last week my partner visited on friday and I went again on tuesday and discovered a pipe had burst in the loft and caused extensive damage. The co-op have said we were not covered as our stays did not count. Is this aaceptable?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Have they said what they class as 'occupied' then? this sort of clause is there because if a house is left without heating for a prolonged period of time, the pipes are likely to freeze and expand and as they thaw out, they burst. I assume in this weather you have had the heating on at the house when you have been there, whether overnight or not.

You really don't need this after your sad loss and I am surprised as I have a lot of business with the Co-op and never had a problem with them.

You can take this matter to the FSA but you will have to go through the co-op complaint process first.

Last edited: