returning sofa ordered by deceased

clab

Mar 6, 2012
my friends mother ordered and paid for a sofa recently, on the day it was delivered she was taken ill and sadly passed away later that day. the company she bought the sofa from firstly refused to take it back, then offered £300 for it (she paid£700) , does anyone have any advice?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Oh I'm very sorry to hear your news.
Though it shouldn't matter given the circumstances, how was it ordered?
Nasty companies only want the £££ unfortunately.
Let me know how it was ordered and then we can discuss possible options.
Adam

clab

Mar 6, 2012
as far as i'm aware she went into the shop and ordered it and paid cash, so has none of the distance selling protection. i think it's so immoral of the company to act like this! my friend has enough to deal with without worrying about this

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
That is one of the worst stories I have read on this site, some companies are totally dispicable.

Would you care to name them, just so we can ensure our considerable member base know where to avoid in future.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have any legal rights to return the sofa but common decency tells me they should have taken it back without issue.

clab

Mar 6, 2012
the company is called suites direct in worcester, they also have a branch in kidderminster not sure if they are anywhere else. the sad thing is my friend is obviously not in any state to fight it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I can understand that, it is a horrible situation to find yourself in, perhaps you could speak to Consumer Direct on your friends behalf and tho she has no legal right to fight it, they may be willing to contact the shop, a quiet word from them often works wonders.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Thank you Witch Consumer.
It's unfortunate that it was not ordered by distance, as you could have had it returned without notifying them that the 'contract holder' has deceased.

I'm totally shocked by this company and this is terrible. I know this may be covered under the Bribery Act (so do be careful) but you could threaten that you'll go to the local papers? As this would send out loads of bad publicity?

I'm so sorry again.
Adam

clab

Mar 6, 2012
i do feel like going to the papers,but it's not really my place to do so. i think the shop are behaving disgracefully, playing on the fact that my friend is so upset and has so much else to deal with at the moment. it sickens me that this seller will have the sofa back and resell it making even more profit! i agree they should be named and shamed,just hope other local people are reading this thread ! thankyou for your responses.