Jet airways not giving a new flight after emergency hospitalisation

TK47

Mar 16, 2012
Hi all.

My problem is that I had a flight booked on Jet Airways for 6th March 2012. I checked in for the flight. After check in I began having severe pains. A paramedic at LHR was called and I was sent to hospital with "sudden onset of appendicitis".
At the time of being sent to hospital I was advised both by security and the paramedic at LHR that I would be given a new flight by Jet Airways as this is standard practice for airlines and medical emergencies.

I have contacted Jet Airways on several occaisions....

1) They have told me I now have to pay £100 to change the flight + over £300 for a new ticket. (This for a ticket that cost £308 when I booked in February).

2) They have told me it was not a medical emergency. (But I had an emergency appendectomy and have the hospital discharge papers).

3) I was given an e-mail address that was incorrect.

4) I was told to phone the head offices in India (When I do phone the number rings several times and then goes to engaged tone so I cannot get through).

5) After a long trawl through the internet I got a new e-mail address. The contact at the other end has done little except ask me to phone the local 0808 number or telephone India - see above.

6) I paid for the flight with my Visa debit card. My bank says they cannot help as I have not been refused a service.

What do I do? What are my rights here?
Am I eligible for a new flight or a refund because this was a medical emergency after checking in?

Can you advise me please as I want to fly again soon.

Thanks.