Spanner left on bleed nipple

pansav

Apr 4, 2012
Hi
I am new on here so please bear with me.

A service was carried out on our car, the garage informed us that front pads and discs needed replacing, this we agreed to have done.

Two days after picking the car up from the garage, with not much use in between, my son, who was driving the car home from the station after work at the time, had a catastrophic loss of brakes, i.e. pedal to the floor, fortunately, he was in a slow moving traffic situation and was able to bring the car to halt.

To cut to the chase, it was discovered that the garage had left a ring spanner on the bleed nipple, consequently, with the movement of the wheel it loosened it, resulting in an immediate loss of brake fluid, to the extent that when the peddle was pressed it went straight to the floor, thus NO BRAKES.

The garage manager admitted liability, took the car back to the garage, re-filled and bled the system, cleaned and returned the car (albeit 24 hours later). The owner's silence has been deafening in the ensuing period!

My question is this, surely there has to be some kind of recourse to law, this kind of negligence cannot be allowed to go unpunished, yes it might have been a mistake, but it could quite easily have been lethal, just as lethal as if you or I inadvertently drive through a red stop light at a junction, we may not have had an accident, but we still would have broken the law, criminally.

We really are not interested in suing for compensation, it really is not about the money, merely the satisfaction of bringing something as serious as this to book.

BTW we have photographic evidence of the spanner on the bleed nipple and voice recordings of the admittance of liability.

Thanks for your patience in reading this and I look forward to your replies.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there, I understand your situation and would agree that it's not right,
However the problem you have is this: if you go to the county court for this case, they'll wish to know what you want out of it. For you to not want compensating, and it's merely for the satisfaction of doing so, I think you'll be wasting your time and energy.
Simply being as I assume by your post that you do not wish for any remedy, the courts will see this as 'well what's the point?' .
Does this make sense? And I believe also that the garage has done the right thing by sorting it out immediately for you. Yes it shouldn't have happened, but unfortunately it did, and everybody is ok and there has been no damage done.
What else can you do?
Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Just to clarify a little further, you can only take them to a Small Claims Court if you have a financial claim, if you had hired a car and they had refused to pay for it you would have a case, but as you have suffered no financial loss, there is no claim.

As Adam says, although this is a horrendous situation, there's little you can do except be thankful the situation wasn't much, much worse.

ekiekrem

Jun 20, 2012
Hi i am new here i just read the post i took my wife s vouxhall to vauxhall dealer for major service one day later i took the car for long drive to work i work 26 miles away from where we live(i drove my doughter to nursery two day in this car) on the way back i had hand break light came on on dashboard i stopped the car called vauxhall garage they said call AA anyway i drove home called AA than the AA Guy checked break fluid level and he checked breaik fluid bleeding niples both front ones left loose he said if i didnt see the hand break light and carried on driving i might have no break on the car or i know if my wife was driving she wouldnt stop and check what is the hand break light is on for, that nite we were going away for weekend which we had to cancel it i complain to main vauxhall head office which i ve got no respond from them yet.Now does someone has to get hurt or die because of this mistakes than someone will do something about it thanks for reading