faulty pram

kelly

Dec 2, 2008
i was wondering if any one could help me,

i bought a bruin presto pram from toys r us 6 months ago, i noticed te hinges that stop the pram from folding had failed and my son was in it at the time and it could of collapsed on him at any time, so i took it straight back to toys r us, they told me they would send it off for repairs that was 2 weeks ago and am stil waiting to hear back from them, but what i would like to know is that am i entitled to my money back once it comes back as i no longer have any faith or confidence in the pram any more, and thinking wat could of happened if it had collapsed i dread to think.

toys r us are telling me i have no right to a refund and that if i do want one it is nothing to do with them it all down to bruin. even though i thought i dealt with toys r us as i bought the product with them

hayley_dt

Dec 10, 2008
Me too

Iv had the same problem to I bought a quinny buzz from toy r us in April,my son was born in June. As i was walking along the pram started to fold down on me i rang toys r us and over the phonethey told to me to bring it back and they'd swape it. I drove from nscarborough to york to be told it had to be sent back. They offered me a forward facing old buggy with no cossy toes or anything. I refused and now have no pram untill mine is returned which i then have to drive back to york for. They said it was because i had bought the pram over 6mths ago,but doesnt every1 buy there pram before the baby arrives? I have lost all faith in toys r us.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Kelly & Hayley,

I think I am right (and I am sure Tony will confirm this if so) in that it is good you took your prams back to the retailer for this issue to be sorted. Many retailers would fob you off and ask you to get in touch with the manufacturer direct, so at least Toys R Us are dealing with it for you.

However, and it is a very large however...

I find it scandalous that a suitable alternative was not offered to you either as a replacement, or on loan until your original Pram was fixed. While I can appreciate that some items, like my PS3 which broke recently, are not really that vital to require a loan while it is fixed, I feel a pram for a young child most definitely is.

I am unaware of the legal side of things as regards refunds and I don't want to post something that may give you the wrong impression. I am sure when Tony reads this he will be able to advise you on the legal side of that.

I do know that Toys R Us do have to completely repair, or replace the item to your satisfaction.

The aspect of this which staggers me is the scant regard for your valid concerns for the safety of your children and the fact that you were offered something obviously inferior to the original item as a temporary replacement. This sounds like appalling customer services.

I hope these issues are resolved quickly for you both. Let us know how you get on.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I agree that this is very poor customer service on the part of Toys R Us. Have a read of the What Consumer guide to returning faulty goods - this might be helpful. Normally I would say that as your contract is with Toys R Us, they should deal with your claim and not fob you off on the manufacturer. However I think this might be different because you bought it over six months ago - hopefully Tony can confirm.

Certainly I think most people would agree that a pram should last longer than six months, so I don't think it's unreasonable of you to want a refund given the possible consequences if the hinges failed again.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I agree with Jormian - I would expect Toys R Us to loan you both a pram while yours is being repaired.

Kelly, I completely understand how you feel about the pram and it is reasonable to request your money back given the circumstances. You need to write to them about this, these shops are often staffed by teenagers who may not know the law.

With regard to the amount of time that has passed, again a reasonable person would expect a pram to last more than six months, assuming it has been looked after etc., so no Toys R' Us are still liable.

I would be very interested to find out how you get on with this and let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Tony

icoobaby2

Apr 22, 2009
It is really very sad to know such news about Toys R Us. These days they are neglecting customers very badly. I also bought pram from them first.I returned it to them as they didn't respond to my call for the demonstration of the pram.Then I bought Targo city Pushchair from icoobaby.co.uk .They are giving a high quality customer service with good quality products.

benny

Jun 28, 2010
Ho Guys My god it's nice to know i'm not alone! I too bought a pram from Toys R us and it is faulty. i bought the Kurvi 3 and found that one side of my frame would collapse when the car seat was attatched, and sometimes would not fold when it was supposed too! took it back to Toy R us and was told it would have to be sent off to determine if there was a fault as they couldn't see it! Went back a day later and showed them the pram when it had become stuck - clearly there is a fault but apparently they still have to send it off! They did offer me two replacements for my three month old daughter but they were forward facing buggies that were filthy and one was missing a wheel! Definatly not suitable and i told them so. Did not appear to be getting anywhere and started using the pram with the main attachement intead of car seat and frame appeared to work- maybe it was the weight difference I don't know! In any case two months down the line and my in laws had taken my daughter out for the day in the pram, when they were walking along and the pram body( which adjusts from laying flat to sitting up) gave way from a semi sitting position to laying completly flat with no warning!! and no longer stays in this position! Once again I have returned my pram to Toys r us and have this time bought a replacement buggy to last me while they send it off to find out if it is faulty!! I have been told two weeks by head office but they have said up to a month in store! They have also said they will generally repair the pram first, then offer a replacement and then a refund!Unfortunatly this is the law! Which I am not too thrilled about as I spent £300 on a pram that has now failed twice, to say I have lost faith in it is a understatement! Further more i am very disapointed in Toy R us as the customer service they provided, quite frankly was non existant! My friends have had similar problems with their prams that they bought from other stores and were offered replacements straight away. So I guess now it's just a waiting game.