furniture

jbishoprick

Apr 17, 2012
in august 2010 my wife and i purchased a three piece suite £1500 from scs .the suite we bought has zips on the arm pieces, seat custions, and the back sections. about xmas time my wife decided to wash the arm pieces. after refitting the arm pieces we noticed that parts of the arm sections were looking as if someone had pulled threads out of them,making them look very shabby. my wife and i decided to go back to the shop andtell them there must be a fault in the fabric,for the arm pieces to have gone like this. as soon as we explained the situation the salesman said , when you purchased the three piece suite you were not told at any time that you could wash the covers.he said none of the suites we sell are washable. our concern is if the covers were not washable why are they fitted with all the zips. we asked if replacements could be bought and he said that perticular model was not made any more, but after phoning the supplier said they could supply new arm pieces for£50 each plus £7 carriageon each one.the six arm sections would cost us £328. my wife asked why were zips fitted to all these sections if they could not be washed .but no logic answer was given.do you think this is unfair trading practice by a reputable suite centre and do we have a claim.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I'm not sure you can assume, just because the cushions had zips that they would be washable, have you checked for any labels on the furniture giving cleaning instructions?

I had a similar problem with a suite although it was considerably older than yours and I suspect the snags were normal wear and tear but I used a 'bobble remover' made for woollens to remove the stray fabric snags and this worked very well.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
jbishoprick

Sofas and the like often have zips because the frames are massed produced and different manufacturers will fit their own covers. If they were not zipped they would have to be individually made by an upholsterer. In effect it is a cost issue. Zips do not necessarily mean the fabric is washable, unless it says so on a label somewhere or on sales literature. The trousers on my suits have zips but I wouldn't bung them in the washing machine:D