Bought a car last month, help needed!

Jason789

Apr 27, 2012
Hi, last month I bought my first car from a trader in leicester. A 2007 Black Astra for just over £4000

I test drove it and everything, they assured me that it was in essentially perfect condition with no faults.

I bought the car on the day, and everything was running smooth.

Last week I wanted to get a quote to get some interior stuff installed into it, so I phoned vauxhall and they told me the car was overdue for a free recall check, I arranged a date and they did an inspection.

Everything was fine except they discovered that I had an oil leak under the bonnet and that I would need to arrange a new date to get it diagnosed and repaired.

Instead I phoned halfords services and arranged a date for them to diagnose it.

Today they diagnosed it, and apparently I have some pretty major oil leaks from multiple parts of the car, the technician said I should contact the trader I got it from.

I haven't contacted the dealer yet as I am waiting on a call from halfords quoting me a full price to repair the vehicle, the technician said he needs to wait on some callbacks to price up the parts that I need, he said there's quite a few so I fear it's going to be expensive to repair.

What are my rights here? If the quote to repair it isn't significant I don't mind just accepting it. However if it's going to be an expensive job I really can't afford it..

The dealer said the car had been checked by an engineer etc and said there was no damage or problems.

What do you guys think I should do from here?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think you need to take it back to the dealer and let them do their diagnostics and tell you what's wrong and what they are going to do about it.

If that then doesn't coincide with what Halfords said, you can start to complain but until you have given them the opportunity to caryy out the repairs, you have no beef with them.

Jason789

Apr 27, 2012
I think you need to take it back to the dealer and let them do their diagnostics and tell you what's wrong and what they are going to do about it.

If that then doesn't coincide with what Halfords said, you can start to complain but until you have given them the opportunity to caryy out the repairs, you have no beef with them.
Ok yeah,

I'm just awaiting a written quote a diagnostics from Halfords before I contact them.

The dealer is about one and a half hours drive away so I'll phone them once I get this quote and report back here with what they say!

Thanks

Jason789

Apr 27, 2012
Ok well Halfords gave me a list of what parts need buying and how much the total cost would be to fix the vehicle.

The total is £351.62

I have phoned the place I got the car from multiple times but am still waiting on a call back from their "manager"..

What should I do? Halfords have written on the invoice that the oil looks like it has been there for some time, implying that it was there before I bought the car.

Jason789

Apr 27, 2012
I just got a callback

They want me to bring the car down

My question is, am I entitled to get travel costs paid for or anything like that? Considering I have to drive down 50 miles and then leave the car with them for a few days, meaning I have to somehow arrange transport home too.

Jason789

Apr 27, 2012
Alright guys

Took the car back to the dealer and after leaving it with them overnight they said it was fixed..

A few days ago we noticed that there was a lot of oil on the garage floor, and discovered that my car had been leaking and is still dripping occasionally.

I took it to a garage today to have a look at it and they said that there is a lot of oil under the car and they need to clean it up to take a proper look.

He said the dealer probably did nothing when I took it back to them..

What should I do here? Surely the dealer is responsible for the costs of getting it fixed right?

I'm taking it back to the garage on Wednesday so they can do a full diagnostics

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Perhaps you should have taken it back to Halfords to have the diagnostics test run again after the 'repair' and taken the two results to the garage, therefore giving you before and after proof of whether the repairs had been carried out. Taking it to a different garage altogether will not prove much other than you still have an oil leak but no proof it is the same as before.