How long should it last?

Credit Crunch

Dec 3, 2008
Bought a new fire place and surround 18 months ago, the gas fire now doesn't work (electrics to start the extractor fan and fire totally dead :mad: ).

Obviously I'm over the golden 12 month retailer rule but I would expect a new fire place to last more than 18 months, any rights? :)

Credit Crunch

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks Tony. Would I need to go back to the shop I bought the fire from or would I go back to the manufacturer of the fire? Also, I've checked the small print on the paperwork I have from when I bought the fire and I came across the following paragraph which I can't quite get my head around:-

'The following restrictions on the product and Installations are hereby brought to the attention of the buyer who is deemed to buy with full knowledge and acceptance of these limitations provided that they are not deemed to exclude any of the rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended'

Does this mean I've waived my right or not? Thanks again.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Credit Crunch,

Your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer, so you should go to them. They will probably ask for a report stating that the fire is defective and had been installed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

You can't waive your rights, it's the law : )

Tony

Credit Crunch

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks Tony, the retailer I bought it from installed the fire also, so they should know it was fitted to the manufacturers instructions. I'll let you know how I get on!!

Credit Crunch

Dec 3, 2008
Hi Tony, the company I bought the fire from were a bit arsey initially advising as the product was over 1 year old they couldn't help. I quoted Sale of Goods act and they advised they would call me back. They called back to advise they will send an engineer from the Manufacturers to fix the fire!!

Cheers

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The magic words eh. It is difficult to get access to information about how long things last and often it is vague at best. Electric fires are not specifically mentioned but you would expect it to be similar to an electric cooker perhaps.

Life expectancy – Electronic equipment

The economic life expectancy of any product is difficult to determine, as price is not always an accurate guide to durability.

Most products can be expected to last a reasonable period of time but considerations such as price, quality, usage and the environment in which the product is used must be taken into account.

While the list below is not a comprehensive one it gives a general indication of life expectancy for a range of product types.

Small appliances

Irons, Kettles, Hair Dryers etc. 2 - 5 years

Medium Size Appliances

Cleaners, direct acting space heaters,

refrigerators and freezers, spin and

tumble dryers, Microwave Ovens 3 - 8 years

Larger Appliances

Electric Cookers, 8 - 10 years

Dishwashers, washing machines, 4 – 8 years

Low priced portable CTVs 3 - 5 years

Higher priced non-portable CTVs 5 - 8 years

Low priced VCRs and DVDs 2 - 5 years

Higher priced VCRs and DVDs 5 - 8 years

Low priced Hi-Fi Systems 2 - 5 years

Higher priced Hi-Fi systems 5 - 8 years

Note.

Life expectancy is the length of time a product would reasonably be expected to be able to be economically repaired where the spare parts are available. Some cosmetic parts may not be available for the same period of time as functional parts.

It does not imply that goods should last for a given period of time without going wrong or that the repairer should not make a reasonable charge for a repair.
From retra - radio, electrical and television retailers' association uk