I need help.

Firefox

May 6, 2012
Hello to everyone.

I am posting on this forum for the first time and I need some urgent help from the wise. I recently had to sell my pride and joy due to a change in my job. I passed the vehicle onto a gentleman who came on two seperate occasions with a friend who had some mechanical knowladge. On each occasion they spent an over an hour with vehicle, test drove it, looked over it, askead me as many questions as they could, and I tried my best to answer their questions. In the end after feeling quite worn out the gentleman bought the vehicle. I askead him to sign a sold as seen receipt, as a document to proof he was happy with the vehicle. He was not happy to sign this document and he reluctantly agreed, as this was a private sale and I could not garentee the vehicle once it was sold, and I made it very clear to him. In the end he still bought it. In hindsight now I should have told him to walk, as a timewaster.
Last week I received a phone call from the gentleman. He is not happy as he has taken the vehicle to a so called expert, who he has refused to name and has indicated to me that several numbers on the engine block are worn off, or missing. I have askead the buyer to provide me with pictures of the engine numbers and he has refused to agree and will only do it with myself going to his property to view it, which I am afraid to do, as the buyer sounded angry and I won't risk my safety and that of my partner. I provided all documents of the vehicle to the buyer, including an HPI report, all previous MOT's and the invoice of sale from the motor dealer I bought it from, though he is still not happy. As an act of good faith myself and my partner have spent nearly four days finding address details of the motor dealer, phone numbers and everything we can possibly do to help the buyer, though he is still not happy. He askead me about the vehicles engine when he came to buy it, I did tell him that the dealer had told me the engine had been at one time been replaced, but I told the buyer I could not confirm or deny this as i had no paperwork to proof otherwise. I provided the contact details of the motor dealer on the day and the buyer tried to phone the dealer to find out and got no answer. In the end the buyer still bought the vehicle. Now the buyer does not want me, he wants the motor dealer. We have unfortunatly discoverd the dealer has ceased trading but still lives in the loacal area. I am afraid for me and my partner as we have done everything we can possible do to do an honest and genuine sale and feel we are being sucked into a dark and dangerous situation as now the buyer wants me to point out the dealer to him. We have sought CAB advice and I want to go the police with this as I feel this whole matter is getting out of hand, but i am afraid the buyer will come after me for informing the police and risking his vehicle being taken off him. Please can anyone help, as this whole situation is making me ill with the stress and worry, as I dont know what to do.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Hi and welcome to the forum

This guy has no comeback and certainly not with the dealer who has no part in this sale.

He had ample opportunity to assess the condition of the vehicle and he chose to make the purchase, end of story.

If he comes back again, tell him that as far as you are concerned the matter is closed and if he thinks there is a problem with the authenticity of the vehicle, he must contact the police. If there is any implication of threat, you must go to the police yourself.

the fact of the matter is, he hasn't got a leg to stand on, even if the car proves to be stolen, he is stuck with it, or without it as the case may be.

Firefox

May 6, 2012
Dear which consumer.
Thank you for your reply. I spoke to the police last night and not mentioning any names or the identity of the vehicle have basically said the same thing as you. When I mentioned that I askead him to sign a sold as seen receipt, they said he has no comeback. However the buyer seems to think differently. I am going to write an official letter to the buyer but I am unsure how to write it, as he has put myself and my wife through a week of hell and I am extremely angry with the buyer for his lack of empathy and thinking that he can just get his money back even though he was the one who decided to buy. I know we make mistakes but I refuse to pay for someone else's. Any help on how I should write this letter would be greatly appreciated.

Firefox

May 6, 2012
Dear Witch Consumer.

Thank you so much for your help. Written a letter and we have been as polite and to the point as possible. I will be blocking his number from today and hope that will be the end of the matter. As a genuine seller, I am totally shocked and feel that I am so out of my depth, I did not know which way to turn. I know there are alot of buyers out there who are genuine folks who find faults with vehicles once they purchased them but I realise that sellers can get burnt too, on occasion. I don't know what this buyer is going to do next, and I can guess pretty well that he will be furious and will come to my front door to have it out with me. I still dont know if his claims are genuine or is trying to pull a fast one. So far he has refused to name the expert he had advice from, still refuses to provide picture evidence to me of the missing engine numbers and he still has not gone to the police or DVLA with his concearns. It still sounds odd that only a few numbers are missing from the engine, I would be more concearned if all the numbers were missing. To anyone out there who are planning to sell their vehicles, please, please, check the credentials of your buyers before you enter into a sale. There are genuine folks out there but there are ones who will never be satisified. I don't think I will ever do a private sale again.

Firefox

May 6, 2012
Hi there to everyone.

Been on the phone to a lovely lady from Consumer direct today and she has been very helpfull. Posted a letter to the buyer today, polite and to the point about the sale of the vehicle. Blocked his number and now I am dreading the fallout. Will pobably get a knock on the door this weekend, if it does happen, it's the police. Not going to be a victim. Hope the buyer sees sense.