Evicted For Complaining

mickyb1967

Jul 5, 2012
Hi, my first time on so here goes!
I have rented the property where i live for 12.5 years, the place was a dump so the letting agents Whitneys Estate Agent in Bradford West Yorks gave a months grace on the rent. The kitchen comprised of a sink unit and a tiny wall unit, the bathroom was as old as my great granny and the enamel on the bath was chipped in several places. I worked on the property (i'm a decorator by trade) to make it some sort of a home. One day the sink unit collapsed because it was rotten and major old so i asked for a repair this fell on deaf ears, i went and got a kitchen of my own and fitted it myself. I have re-placed it 3 times while ive been here. I was twice cut using the bath where the enamel had chipped so i asked for a new one to be told they couldnt afford it and the one in was perfectly useable. I ended up getting my own and had to smash theirs up with a sledgehammer. Several other things kept permanantly going wrong and the trades they sent were to say the least COWBOYS. A corgi registered plumber put tape round the toilet outlet when it leaked (yet again) he did a gas check which comprised of turning the fire on and was happy it worked so wrote out the ticket. I insisted he smoke tested the chimney to be told "I aint got any smoke bombs". I got him some as i'd done it myself the year previous and cleaned out the fire grate there was 6inches or more of dust there. I could catalogue a huge list of botched work they've done on all of this block they own (12 houses here, they own several hundred a workman of theirs told me). All were re-roofed several years ago with concrete marley tiles in place of thin slate no insulation was put in and the roofs wernt streangthened, i have a smashed velux on the inside and cracks galore and split walls. I have expressed my concerns to the agents along with mays rent to be evicted under the housing act of 1988. Now ive found out via the CAB i dont have a leg to stand on so i should move immediately.(2 Months notice ends on Aug 1st). The agents have lied through their teeth about the landlords address giving me their old office address and then the one next door to it. I'm not convinced that the landlords who are Park Dene (or Parkdene) investments ltd are totally aware of what their agents are up to. I'm at aloss of what to do. Any help would be gratefully received, and apologies it's so long winded but this is a paragraph compared to what i could write down!:mad: I'l try to add some photo's of my work including the woodburning stove i recently fitted because they wouldn't service my gas fire as recomended by the new gas firm! Thanks for reading.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
CAB are very good at what they do and provide a brilliant service to the down-trodden consumers of this fair country, however, I do sometimes wish they would refer clients to people who know more on certain subjects.

We can't help you on this one although I personally have had similar experience I left of my own accord and didn't bother following it up.

But of course tenants have rights and I know just the guys who can give you adice on this matter, whether it's what you want to hear or not, at least it will be accurate and comprehensive:

Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity - choose your location

Good luck

mickyb1967

Jul 5, 2012
CAB are very good at what they do and provide a brilliant service to the down-trodden consumers of this fair country, however, I do sometimes wish they would refer clients to people who know more on certain subjects.

We can't help you on this one although I personally have had similar experience I left of my own accord and didn't bother following it up.

But of course tenants have rights and I know just the guys who can give you adice on this matter, whether it's what you want to hear or not, at least it will be accurate and comprehensive:

homelessnessGood luck
The CAB were honest enough about it and i'm grateful for their help, it has stopped me wasting any money on a pointless arguement, because the fact of the matter is there is no arguement as the don't have to and havn't given any reason they are hiding behind what i regard as an ancient law, it should be re-thought out and have more stringent rules for reasons to evict. I will however leave it in the state i got even though the improvements i've made some are hard to un-do!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
These are the sort of pints I was referring to, came across this while I was having problems myself

You have the right to be able to contact your landlord directly.

A landlord or letting agency is legally obliged to give at least 24 hours notice should they wish to enter a rental property.

Your rent cannot be put up without your express consent for the duration of a fixed-term tenancy agreement.

Even if you are breach of contract, your landlord will still have to go through the courts to get you evicted and take possession of a property.

You are covered by your rights as a tenant, even if they aren’t written into your tenancy agreement.

Make sure your landlord has a current gas safety certificate if you have gas central heating.

You have the right to live in safe and comfortable accommodation without unnecessary disturbance.

That is, your landlord is obliged to ensure that a property is structurally sound, ‘wind and waterproof’ and generally habitable, with leaking roofs and damp not legally acceptable.

You have the right to insist that a property complies with all relevant building regulations, including rules on fire safety, that hot water and heating systems are safely maintained by CORGI-registered professionals.

Furthermore, you have the right to insist all electrical equipment is regularly tested and safe to use and that, if a property is furnished, the furniture is fit-for-purpose and meets the relevant fire-resistant regulations.

Your landlord needs to have a current gas safety certificate if you have a central heating boiler – these are yearly and its for your own protection so make sure he it.

If there is a problem with any of the above, it should be covered by the landlord’s property insurance, however you need to insure your own belongings separately.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
and this:

Landlord Contact Details
Tenants have the right to be able to contact their landlord directly. Should you put such a request in writing to your letting agency, they are legally obliged to provide you with the details within 21 days.

Additionally, if your landlord changes, you have the right to be notified within two months of this happening.
note the "legally obliged"