Hotel Cancellation Fees

karabash

Aug 9, 2012
My Son booked a room through late rooms at a cost of £375. The search engine on their website stated that the hotel was within 10 miles of our destination. Immediately after making the booking the went to AA maps to get directions for travel arrangements to discover the hotel was over an hours drive and 45miles away. Within 2 hours I had telephoned laterooms to cancel and they said that this hotel had a 7 day cancellation policy so the room would be charged in full. I stated that this was unfair and he called the hotel who agreed to take 60%. I stated that this was also unfair as the room was booked for less than 2 hours. I eventually called the hotel direct and the manager simply said well its £100 to cancel or the lot. I explained it was only booked for a couple of hours and he simply stated 'well haven't you made a monumental cock up goodbye' then hung up the phone! What are my rights here????????

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There isn't a simple solution as accommodation is excluded from the Distance Selling Regulations.

There does appear to be a misselling element as the hotel is not as described in the advert but I'm afraid it will probably have to be a small claims to get your money back.

Make sure you print a copy of the advert now before it is changed then ask laterooms for a refund based on their misselling.