Furniture ordered in Feb, still not delivered

Croyde

Sep 8, 2012
Hi,

I am really in a difficult situation. I purchased 5 pieces of furniture from a large local independent retailer in Feb. We paid in full up front (£1,700).

We were told everything would be delivered within 6 - 8 weeks.

6 weeks arrives and the bed & mattress are ready and they are delivered. I then continue not to hear from the shop so in May I call and they say the lines were being painted in a different warehouse (different country) and there would be a delay for 3 chests of draws from the same range until June. OK - fine.

By mid June, still nothing so I call and I am told that it will be a further 2 weeks and 2 items will be available and will be delivered, I waited, again I had to call and chase to get a date for delivery.

I was told that the final, largest chest would be ready end of July, end of August still nothing so I call again and I am told its due 29th August and will be delivered week commencing the 3rd Sept. Guess what, no call, no furniture.

What the hell can I do? I am at my whits end. I have tried to talk to the owner he just shouts at me down the phone and tells me it is not their fault and its down to the manufacture and repeats constantly 'what do you expect me to do' :mad:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
What you should expect him to do is meet the terms of his contract with you in full. You have bought and paid for goods he has not delivered, therefore he is in breach of that contract.

The problem you have is that you have accepted part of the order and if you cancel the remaining item, you will probably struggle to get the remaining piece elsewhere.

Perhaps you should be asking him precisely what he intends to do, I think I would be suggesting some form of compensation for his failure.

If you can get the item elsewhere, you are within your rights to cancel and receive a full refund on this piece.

NickiSue

Sep 30, 2012
North Yorkshire
Is there not an ombudsman or relevant body that you could contact in order to work on your behalf or at least give you some clout when dealing with the seller?