Hyundai I30 no Courtesy Light

thistlescot

Nov 23, 2012
Hello,
I have a Hyundai 130 which was new on 28th July. When i took the car for a test drive i was quite happy with it .The salesman pointed out all the things in the car that i may not be familiar with and i went on my way.
My problem started the first time i went out for a drive in the dark and stopped to get something from the small storage area to the left of the steering wheel.
I looked above me to switch the interior courtesy light on and found that there wasn't one there although there was a cut out mark on the roof lining where it should be. Looking at the adverts again on television for the Hyundai I30 i noticed that it is installed on the car. Also i understand that the manual for the car is generic and covers other models but also says "where installed" for cars that have had extras added. My manual just gives instructions on how to use the light .
I called my dealer and he checked another car and said he was surprised and had never noticed no light. I then called Hyundai Head office and they said that the car i bought was in a block of cars that was manufactured without the interior light. I also checked with their parts dept and they said it would cost approx £400 for the light and fitting but the part comes from korea and is a back order so would take a few months.
If anyone else has had the same problem as i have i would be pleased to hear from you. As trivial as it may sound not having this light it is the only car i have known to be without one and it is so so frustrating.

Cheers...... Derek

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Not really clear from your post whether the light was supposed to be there and who is paying the cost.

I'm guessing an interior light isn't an optional extra but I'll find out whether they are obliged to provide one!

thistlescot

Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for looking at my post. Hyundai will say that it was just not part of the specifications at the time. I was just so annoyed with myself for not noticing that the front courtesy light was there. I have been so used to having one in every car i have driven that i really did not think to look. Also when looking at pictures in the brochures etc it can be seen in the car.

Now i understand that they do show some added extras in these advertisements which only adds to the confusion for the customer. It just seems very strange that they tell me it was not on the spec for the block that my car came from but still install a light to the rear for the passengers. If i want to read a map for example i have to get out the drivers seat and go into the back seat to read it.

When i initially called Hyundai HQ the chap i spoke too asked me to go out to my car as he was reading from the manual and directing me to where the light is . I assured him it was not there and he was surprised so checked with his design team and was just told it was not in the spec at the time . So i assume some have the light installed and some do not.

Usually when someone wants an added extra it is for sat nav leather seats sun roof etc as well as many other items that will customize the car further but never have i heard of the courtesy light being an added extra. To me its like saying if you want window wipers it is extra.
I am disabled and have enough trouble getting myself sorted and comfortable enough to drive. yet another example is that i have asthma and use an inhaler, i put it in a place i think i can find it and it moves due to hard braking i cannot find it in the dark so i struggle.

My post was really to find out if there was anyone else who has come across this problem with the courtesy light and equally frustrated as there must be many others who have the same car. Also to highlight the poor service Hyundai provide as not even their showroom staff or customer service knew anything about it not being installed. If i had known i would not have the car now and gone for something better.

Cheers again.......Derek

i30

Dec 21, 2012
I have a 62 reg i30 and have no courtesy light either. I came across this site whilst searching for a courtesy light I could fit myself.

rubyrocket

Jan 21, 2013
Hi Derek
I bought a nearly new i30 Active this last weekend. Like you I test drove it but did not look for the map lights, as I have never come across a car without them.
I am really miffed
Pauline

May 28, 2013
I bought a 2012 Hyundai i30 in April last year but did not notice the front interior map light was missing until my wife went to park in an unlit car park when the nights started pulling in 6 months later. Besides, checking that you can reach and switch on the interior light in a 2012 car is like checking that you can turn your head lights on! Hyundai themselves were most unhelpful, appearing to shrug their shoulders, offer no technical solution and referred me to my local dealer Rodgers in Plymouth. Initially they said their hands were tied because they did not have the wiring details, etc..

After a couple of frosty encounters with the salesman who sold us the car, I made it perfectly clear what I thought of Hyundai's technical expertise (or apparent lack of it!). Then a month ago after our first service the Sales Manager at Rodgers got in touch with Turnbulls, a local auto electrical firm, and arranged for us to visit to discuss the problem. When they saw the problem they burst out laughing and could not believe it.

After a short discussion we went back and ordered a standard front map light for an i30 ((£150 + VAT and approximate size 200 x 190) to fit the raised outline of the map light on the inside lining. Turnbulls cut out the opening, found the two pads for securing the light but unfortunately no wiring harness. So they had to drop out the rear courtesy light and 'hard wire' four wires to it and feed them through to the front opening. After careful testing they made up sleeves to fit over the four male plug pins and finished off with heat-shrink. Time taken - two to three hours work. Well worth the cost even though I think Hyundai should at least supplied me with a free map light!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I've just had a brainwave thinking about this... I know it wouldn't look pretty, but couldn't you have stuck one of those cupboard lights in the gap? Or you could get one of those handheld LED worklights (the ones with a hanging hook), and hung it from the rear view mirror when you need to use it, and store it in the glove box thereafter?

Me being cheap :p

Windy57

Sep 6, 2013
Hello all,

I purchased a 2012 i30 Active last week from a dealer, sight unseen, having driven one of their used cars which had both the courtesy light and sunglasses holder. On getting into my car I too found that I had just an indentation in the lining where the light should be - as previous posters have noted, I guess there must have been either a spec change or a largish batch of mis-builds