Post Office to be part-privatised

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
The Government has accepted the conclusions of a report which recommends that the Post Office should be part-privatised. The recommendations are based on the Post Office's growing pensions deficit along with a need to modernise and an awareness of business lost because of email.

This immediately sets alarm bells ringing for me - look what happened when the railways were "part-privatised"! Since the market was opened up to competition, my service has actually got worse - my mail never turns up till mid-afternoon, whereas it used to arrive around 8am, and my postie pings those flipping red elastic bands all over the street. And competitors are not always what they're cracked up to be: this week I had a card from Citylink to say they'd tried to deliver a parcel. They left the card tucked behind a pipe in my close, rather than putting it through my perfectly serviceable letterbox, they wouldn't answer the phone when I tried to call, and eventually I had to drive to their collection point ten miles away! Whereas the Post Office has a sorting office just around the corner.

Anyway that turned into a bit of a rant but all I meant to ask was: what do you think of this recommendation?