Problem with new kitchen worktops

Charlie1976

Dec 19, 2012
Hi there

Just over a month ago we had a new kitchen fitted. After the kitchen was fitted we went away for a few days and then the tiler came in. So it was about 3 weeks before we started using the kitchen properly. After a few days we noticed the worktop surface (oak laminate) had slighted lifted in the corner where the join is. When running my finger along the join it felt bubbly as if something had got it. Note I only use a dettol spray. I contacted the joiners who came and had a look. They said they couldn't understand it and that it was perfect when they left, which it was. They questioned whether or not the tiler could have spilt anything on it but I really don't think he did. They said if we got new worktops from the supplier they would refit but I would have to foot their bill of 2 days work (integrated appliances & apparently the 3 worktops in a u shape would have to come off)l but they did offer to 'patch it up' for free.

The supplier came out and said they couldn't understand it but they would supply new worktops.

The joiners are supposed to be coming this week to patch up but we noticed today, it has lifted even more and patching is going to look rubbish. I truly believe the only thing that's got in is water. And we have been told by another joiner (family member) that it obviously wasn't sealed properly or the sealant hasn't worked.

Therefore I'm going to have to get new worktops but feel very cheated that I will have to foot the bill for the labour (including plumber to take out and refit he sink). Surely after paying several thousand pound for a kitchen and more than £1000 to get it fitted, is holding therefore had too pay out again to short the faults. Can anyone advise on my rights so that I'm not left out of pocket.

Thanks

:-(

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the damage is due to unsatisfactory fitting (which it sounds is the case) the fitter is required to replace the goods at no cost to you under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

If the supplier is willing to replace the worktops that is between the supplier and fitter and should not concern you.

Charlie1976

Dec 19, 2012
Thank you for this. However how can I get them to accept that it is their fault, because they are blaming the worktops being faulty.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They said themselves it was perfect when they left so obviously either a faulty worktop or the bad fitting is responsible for the damage, either way, they are responsible so they really don't have an argument, if they think the worktop is faulty, it is up to them to take it up with the manufacturer, who replaces the worktop and who pays for the labour is up to them to sort. Either way you don't pay.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I am asuming here that the fitters came with the kitchen, rather than being appointed seperately by you, if I am wrong, you may be wise to get a report from another joiner (not family) to check the joint/fitting

MichaelCNichols

Jul 6, 2016
I totally agree. It's a problem between the supplier and the fitter. It shouldn't concern you nor should you be burdened with the need to pay more for something that wasn't installed properly.

RussellMPowell

Jul 6, 2016
If they say the worktops were faulty, then that's not your fault. They should take it up with the company who supplied it. Plus, it's not your responsibility to cover any extra fee since you did not cause the damage or the problem.

GaryCSmith

Jul 13, 2016
I have the same opinion. I don’t think it is your fault. They, too, admitted that it the worktops were faulty. So, how can that be your problem. Extra fees should not be your problem.