14 days cooling off period

Jan 10, 2013
I agreed to rent a holiday home two days ago and paid my deposit by card. tried to cancel today but they are holding me resp[onsible for the booking. Can they do this and is iy not covered by the 14 day cooling off period?

davidcox2177

Feb 10, 2013
My Father-in-Law who is 90yrs and in the first throes of dementia (gets very confused) called out British Gas to check his central heating system, as he thought the boiler wasn’t turning off enough. They arrived and checked the system and changed the thermostat which was paid for. The gas engineer requested a British gas electrician to attend to check out the electrics. The electrician arrived and checked the system saying that everything was okay but he would submit his report. Father-in-Law received a quotation for work to be carried out on his central heating electrics for £263 Due to his confused state, if he receives what he deems to be a demand for money, he settles the bill straight away! On this occasion that is what he did. I believe that the quote for changing an electrical socket and other work (which has been satisfactory for 50yrs) was unnecessary. Unfortunately I didn’t know about this situation until 10 days after he signed the cheque and sent it with the paying slip back to British gas.
Is there anything I can do?