Broken Jewellery. Where do I stand please?

Franczola

Dec 21, 2008
Hi all,

I bought a diamond ring for my wife at the end of April this year, but have had to return it to the shop twice because the stones have fallen out.
On both occassions the shop repaired the ring, but now another stone has fallen out, and I would like to know whether I can ask for a refund as this will be the third time i have had to return to the shop in 8 months, and for the price I paid (£450), I dont think this is acceptable.

I dont have my original receipt, but I do have a bank statement showing the purchase price and date.

Where do i stand here please?

Thanks,
Franc'

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Franc,

A receipt is not required for proof of purchase, a bank statement would suffice. There are no hard and fast rules regarding the number of times an item can be repaired before a refund can be demanded. It is all to do with cost, the product and reasonableness. I would say that in your case it is reasonable to ask for a refund.

A good friend of mine is a jeweller and he always complains about people not looking after jewellery. Diamonds can be chipped and the settings are usually soft metal i.e. gold, and stones can come out. Rings are more delicate than most people think. You may get a similar response.

Let us know how you get on

Tony

Franczola

Dec 21, 2008
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have been prepared for this arguement from the shop regarding possible mis-use of the ring leading to damage and loss of stones, but on both occassions so far the jeweller has repaired the ring without question as there has been no evidence of knocks or damage. The stones have just fallen out!?
Besides, my wife has had other diamond rings and has never had any problems with stone loss having had the rings for a number of years.

Anyway, thanks again for your advise.
I will indeed let you know how I get on.

Franc'