Saga car insurance!!something fishy please help

frostypug

Feb 19, 2013
I took out fully comp car insurance for my vw golf in december 2012. I paid in full £300 but shortly after I had a very small accident which was my brakes failed just as I was approaching a traffic jam and cruised into the car in fromt.
Very little damage to either car but they wrote mine off for a cracked number plate and broken light covers as it was a 79 model I suppose
My query is as I want to take my time choosing a new car(they only allowed me £550 for mine) I decided to cancel my insurance for now and start again when I get one.
Saga said if I cancel I wont get a penny back and they will only give me until March 7th to find another which I can transfer the insurance.
Now surely this isnt fair as I have paid up till decemeber 2013
Grateful for any help before I complain
thanks

michael

Sep 21, 2008
You've made a claim, so of course they won't refund any premium.

They would only refund a proportion of any premium if you hadn't made a claim

frostypug

Feb 19, 2013
Well obviously I only expected the remaining time refunded less admin. What about the time limit on finding another vehicle? Is this standard?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Unfortunately yes they will count it as cancelled if you don't transfer to another vehicle but what has happened to your other car? Just be ause they have stated it is economically unrepairable, doesn't mean you can't drive it, sounds like a Cat D write off which can be repaired, just means you have to declare it if yousell it

frostypug

Feb 19, 2013
Yes I wish I had realised this when they offered me £550 less £400 excess!!!
As I have only passed my test 2 years ago I am totally inexperienced ..I wish I had kept it now, although it was quite old a p reg golf, apart from the brake problem which I was told after was oil on one of the brake pads it was fine.
Oh well, all experience, trouble is as I am 63 now its a bit late lol

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
FrostyPug , ignore nerijus... That person has just done a sweep of submitting replies - I suspect a spam / advert was posted by the user also once the 10 post limit was lifted.