Argos Consumer rights

Kathr

Feb 19, 2013
Hi there, wonder if any one can help, as I feel I am being fobbed off by Argos cusomer services. My mum bought a brand new TV from Argos, and didn't open the box untill weeks later. The TV is faulty, an enginner came out agreed there was something wron, said he would be in touvh totake it away and repair. My mum asked if she could not have a replacement as it was brand new out of the box. Quoting statatuty rights, they said no,it would have to be taken away and repairs. WellI had heard of the sale of goods act, and called them up to quote that, as she had not had the goods for a reasonable amount of time. Argos ran rings around me, saying by exchanging money and receipts, they now had a binding1 12 month ontract, and the sale of goods act didnot really come into it. They were in their rights to take the TV away, and investigate where the fault lies. Leaving my mother without a TV. At no time at the point of sale, was my mother aware she was entering a contract with a supplier. She was simply making purchase, and was protected by law with certian rights. Can any one she some light on this please. hanks

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Where are they getting this 12 month business from? I think we have a fibber on our hands - we love argos on this forum.

Your mother can decide what remedy she would like, it's not argos to decide. She is entitled to either: a full refund, a repair, an exchange. She is entitled to this for faulty items less than 6 months old.
This is all provided under S.14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

The thing is, and I know this because I used to work at Argos, all staff are told that under no circumstances are they to refund for faulty goods unless they've previously been sent for repair. In Argos' eyes, it's: Repair > exchange > refund .
In reality, it's YOUR decision and you can pick whichever you'd like (where appropriate).

You need to speak to a manager, not a monkey too.

If your mother purchased the tv on credit, they may be trying to wriggle away from SOGA saying that the CCA applies instead, however any contract for goods falls within SOGA.

:)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly, you can't use the words 'argos' and 'consumer rights' in the same sentence.

You are quite right, assuming you mum had the tv for less than 6 months she is entitled to decide whether she has a refund or replacement.

The Office of Fair Trading have an excellent leaflet on their website that is written for retailers rather than consumers and explain customer rights in plain English, you may have to read it out to them tho..........:D

Sale of Goods Act Explained

Kathr

Feb 19, 2013
Sorry about the typo's in my last post. I spoke to Argos customer services, and they were adamant, that we were not entitled to a replacement or a refund, and they advised me to take it up with trading standards !!I quoted the sale of goods act, and the team member blatantly said my mother had entered into a legally binding contract, and had to have the TV repaired. I'll go back to the shop and speak to the manager, but I feel out of my depth already. - Thanks for t he advice.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I suggest you print off the leaflet from the link below, they know you cant go to trading standards with individual cases, if you still get no joy, ask for their complaints procedure and go to their head office with a formal complaint.