Insurethebox car insurance - rip off!!

Ira

Feb 20, 2013
I have bought insurance from insurethebox.com 2 years ago, clear box was installed on time, however I have underestimated my car usage in 2011 and with top up miles (they insure only 6000 miles, if you get over this limit, you have to pay for every extra mile) ended up paying just as much as other companies quoted me without any limit on miles.

I was quite disappointed and looked for another ensurer, however, as soon as I was ready to buy insurance from another company I nothiced that insurethebox has taken money from my account! I called customer services just to find out that insurance has an automatic renewal clause, which states that automatic renewal can be cancelled ONLY within the 3 weeks window immediately prior to the expiration date or after I received renewal letter!! I complained that I have not noticed that clause: nobody explicitly drawn my attention to it, the letter was late, however the answer was "NO", I cannot stop the automatic renewal and there will be no refund. If I am to cancel this policy there will be a cancellation charge. I had to accept it and take the policy against my will and twice as expensive as I was quoted by other companies.

My policy is due to expire in the middle of May. Cautious that I might be on holiday I sent email askling to cancel automatic renewal (not the entire policy, but just the renewal of it!!!) and was told to call within 3 weeks before my policy expires or after I received the letter. I was trying to explain that whether I cancel it now or in two months - it changes nothing, but gives me security that I will not miss this 3 weeks window again - the answer was "NO".

I feel like I am in a trap. Trully this is the worst experience I've had with insurance companies so far. In total I paid to this company around 2000 pounds and I have not got a service worth a pound, not to mention disappointment and frustration caused by inflexibility and unfairness. Real rip off.

I would advise to never choose this company if you want value for money, good customer service and care for customer needs and fairness.

I hope I will find the way out of this trap!!

Last edited: