Not so sweet for Whittards

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Whittards of Chelsea are the latest high street name to be undone by the Credit crunch with Ernst and Young also set to follow.

Whittard to become UK's latest retail casualty - Times Online

It seems this year is going to change the face of the high street up and down the land more so than any other year since the end of the war... I can't believe Whittards is going though. I always use their products. I may have to stock up in the sales if they don't find a buyer.

So sad that so many names who we have grown up with are disappearing.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
yes there are going to me lots more casualties on the High Street. I read an article that said Zavvi and JJB Sports were both struggling.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I am truly shocked!

JJB and Zavvi are two companies that I would assume to be amongst the "safest" there are! I understand the Credit crunch has hit home, but I would assume that these companies have big enough profit margins to at least weather the storm, rather than be engulfed by it.

It's almost like civilisation is grinding to a halt at the moment isn't it?

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Yes, and I've just heard on the radio that Zavvi has gone under (Virgin Meg Stores). They have 3,000 staff whose future is now uncertain.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Gawd, all those poor people who face a Christmas of uncertainty... How terrible.

I would be very surprised if Richard Branson didn't intervene somehow to stop this... surely he has enough diverse interests to be able to weather the storm? Or did he sell Virgin Megastores to someone who renamed them Zavvi?

So sad. It's turning into a roll call of the fallen this link.