Cancel my talktalk contract - leaving the country

Poirot

Apr 22, 2013
Dear All,

I have a 1 year contract with TalkTalk and I would like to cancel my contract, this will cost me 9.5GBP per remaining month. However, I am leaving the country, I will close my UK bank account and I will never come back again in UK.

I read a lot of bad reviews about TalkTalk and their dishonesty, and I'm afraid that they charge me more than what they say. I would like to be honest and pay the cancellation charges because I am renting an accommodation and the BT line should be disconnected at the end of my tenancy. My questions are:

- Can TalkTalk "block" the line so it's not possible to have phone/internet access with another company for the new tenant?
- Can I cancel my Direct Debit to TalkTalk after the payment of the cancellation fees with any consequences (and their shouldn't be any consequences)?
- What would happen in a very bad case if I cancel my Direct Debit to TalkTalk and I leave the country with some cancellation fees that are still remaining?

Thank you very much for your help,
Poirot

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
First question, no, they cannot block the line. 2, yes you cancel your direct debit as once you have cancelled and paid there is no contract and 3 they would send letters to your last known address even after you have told them you have left the country!