car insurance

noiramleb

May 4, 2013
Hello all !
My partner had two small accidents since last June and hasn't claimed anything for himself. The insurance (Budget Insurance) is now telling us that they have paid for the damages of the other cars (a little bump on a door and a bumper) and that we have to pay them £450 a month for one year. They also say that we cannot change insurance until we have paid the whole amount. Is that true ? It is a ridiculous money that we are not able to pay! What can we do? Is there a solution to put down the price? Why is it not allowed to change insurance?
I hope someone has some solutions or tricks !!!
thank you so much for all your suggestions and answers.....

Marion

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There is no way they can tie him in for 12 months but he will have to tell any new insurers about the claims otherwise it's considered as insurance fraud so he may not find a better quote anyway. I take it the £450 is the insurance premium for the next 12 months? not an additional amount to recover their costs because they can't do that either.

One thing you need to watch out for is that insurers have a database so they can check previous accidents and if they put down on there that you have had your insurance cancelled, you will find it very difficult to get insurance elsewhere so if you do cancel, make sure you inform them in writing and keep a copy of the letter, you can take the matter to the insurance ombudsman if you need to.

noiramleb

May 4, 2013
hi,
thank you for your answer. We indeed thought about finding a cheaper insurance and transferring our database to the new one but it is written on our insurance website that "If you cancel your car insurance policy following a claim, or any incident that results in a claim, you will still have to pay the full premium."
Do you know if there is anyway to get a free solicitor advice?
Thank you so much,
Regards
Marion