Bensons for beds HELP

Quagmire77

Jul 23, 2013
Manchester
Hello Forum,
I need some advice,help regarding a bed which was purchased from Bensons for Beds
The bed was purchased in 2010 (I know it's a while ago but will explain) due to my other half having a very serious fall in which she Snapped her Tibia and Fibia
in two places also dislocated her ankle from foot so her foot was just floppy
We decided to purchase a Divan type bed due to needing easy access getting in and out while in a full leg cast
So we popped along to Bensons for Beds which was then named SLEEPMASTERS
We spoke in depth to the bed sales person about our needs that my MRS who was in a wheelchair at this point unable to walk needed a bed that was easy to get in and out of due to the cast and as she at that time looked at a 9- 12 month recovery 6 months of that she wasnt allowed to put ANY weight on it she is a larger girl and her good leg the docs told us would cope and would give way
All this and more was told to the sales person who directed us to as he said a real quality divan set that would last us years and he matched that with a Pocket sprung non turn otherpedic mattress that would give Danielle all the support she would ever need
So after some comical moments getting her on the bed to see if the mattress was ok which to be honest all the mattress felt the same
We decided to order a Divan and Mattress set inc Headboard and del cost £560
We also ordered some cups to go under the wheels as had new bedroom carpet fitted we was informed that all Divan sets carry 5 yr no quibble warranty he explained if it breaks we either repair or we get a new one great I thought
On to delivery date guys turn up refuse to take it to bedroom saying not on del note, No cups for divans feet aswell so I flew round to the store to get some answers that's when I had a gut feeling if anything went wrong they would make it as difficult as possible all I got from that visit was you need to ring Customer services nothing to do with us
Sod it I thought not getting stressed over some bits of plastic
But a few months later in the middle if the night the bed made a creaking noise then sound of would breaking one of the supports at the bottom end had broke so rang Benson for Beds cust svc couldn't get through so back to store was told nothing wrong with the bed either your kids have broke it by jumping on it or Danielle had jumped in to bed and broke it either way the gaurentee wouldn't cover it
Rang cust svc again got brushed off at time time Danielle had suffered a pullmanary embolism which thankfully was found in time unfortunately due to her being unable to walk she had 2 more within 9mths so the bed took a back seat until June this year when shopping with a mate who wanted to look in Benson I refused to enter the store but had enter to get the friend who was taking ages a member of staff asked if they could help I replied no thanks you've already ripped me off once he then asked what was wrong so explained it to him
He couldn't find the order on the computer at first but after a while he found it without any notes about the problems he advised me that Bensons had taken over sleepmasters who are the same company and told me to ring cust svc
Did that they asked for pictures of bed without covers so thy could see all four corners not once asked picture of the now bed which is propped up by screwdrivers and bit if wood
I got a email saying due to " due Marks on mattress and the time u had the bed offered me £170 good will gesture and that figure was taken from our purchase price which he didnt include the cost of headboard or del
So I popped down to store to see what £170 would get me nothing the cheapest bed and mattress was £325 I showed the staff member who gave me customer svc number picture of the damage and he said Thats not wear and tear and the marks / Juice stain wouldn't effect the base and in his own option the bed either made poorly from cheap and nasty parts or its got manufacturing faults
Bensons Customer Svc did give me a number of a company they use that would do a report on it but I could only use them
Sorry for the long post but tried to get all the info in hopefully someone can advise me what to do next really stuck

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
Marks on a mattress have no bearing on the stability of the frame (obviously).
What to do: Write them a letter, give them a description of what's going on. Dates, times, order numbers - everything that you can remember.
Then you want to mention that the bed is in breach of Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act as it has failed the 'Durability' test - the bed must last a 'reasonable length of time', which it hasn't.
State what remedy you would like (your options in this case would be a repair or a partial refund (accounting for time youve had it)). Give them a deadline for response (typically 10 days), with the threat of legal action should they fail to respond.
Send this letter along with the photos youve taken (or if digitally, insert them to the letter) by a recorded means to the head office (customer services can provide the address).

Keep a copy of the letter (digitally is fine), and keep hold of your proof of posting.
Await 10 days for response. If no response is achieved, get back to us and we'll discuss next steps (no point now, as they may well respond).

Adam

BensonsforBeds

Jul 29, 2013
Hi Quagmire 77,

I'm contacting you from Bensons for Beds, and I'm sorry to hear about your experiences to date.

Please can you private message me on here with your invoice number, direct telephone number and email address?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Natalie
On behalf of Bensons for Beds