replacements, refubished phones and refunds

sonyxperia-s

Jul 24, 2013
I would like some advice regarding replacement/refurbished phones and refunds.After 4 months my sony xperia s became faulty so it's been sent for repair. As i've only had for 4 months when it developed a fault, doesn't that mean the fault is inherent?
Firstly, as the fault is inherent am i not entitled to a refund? can i ask for a refund? can they refuse a refund?
Secondly, i do not want a secondhand phone as that is not what i paid for, so can i refuse a refurbished phone?
Lastly, if i accept a refurbished phone, can i get a discount? how do i get a good discount for a refurbished phone?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you bought the phone as a consumer then it is covered fully by the sale of goods act, if it came as part of a contract then it isn't, it is covered by contract law and as it forms part of your phone contract, you are entitled to a working phone although this does not have to be brand new, it does have to work!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
As the phone has broken within the first 6 months of use, it is the retailers duty to prove that the fault was not present at time of purchase (ie a manufacturing fault). If it is a manufacturers fault, you are entitled to a partial refund (accounting for time of use), a replacement or a repair. The replacement must be a brand new phone, and the repair must be carried out in a timely manner without causing significant inconvenience.
If however the fault is not a manufacturing fault , you have no legal standing to demand anything for free, and anything provided is through goodwill.

Adam

Edit: sorry Witch, must take me some time to type lol. And the above is assuming this is PAYG.