Roof leak outside of NHBC warranty

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
Hi. I was hoping that someone might be able to offer some assistance with a problem I'm having.

Basically, a damp patch appeared on my bedroom wall 5 days after the 10-year NHBC warranty expired. Typical! :(

I asked a (trusted) roofer to have a look. To cut a long story short, he's been up on the roof and in the loft and found that the leak has obviously been there for a long time (possibly from day 1) as the underfelt has perished. However, there is no obvious sign of where the problem lies. For example, no cracked / damaged / missing tiles, the mortar in the valleys looks ok.

Judging by where the water is appearing, he is suggesting that the valleys haven't been seated correctly and the roof now needs to be stripped back in order to replace the perished felt and sort the valleys out. With the required scaffolding, this is going to be an expensive job.

So, down to my question, is 11 years an acceptable life expectancy for a roof? I'm of the opinion that it isn't and, as the problem has obviously been there for quite some time, the original builders should be covering the cost of the remedial work.

Any advice or opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
Also, would I be better contacting the housebuilder directly or going to NHBC if I pursued the matter further?

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
That's great.....thankyou for the response.

I've asked a few people now and the general opinion is that major roof work is not acceptable after just 11 years.

Looking forward to hearing an expert opinion though.

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
Thanks for that link. I'll have a good read of that this evening to check our position.

I'm currently waiting for rain so that I can try to find the source of the ingress. Typical - when you want rain, it doesn't happen! :D

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
I think that any claim on the NHBC policy would be quickly rebutted by the NHBC. What you have to remember is that they are an insurance company. Can you imagine ever your car insurers entertaining a claim 5 days after the policy expired? Trust me it is hard enough during the policy duration let alone afterwards.! Also these sort of claims would most likely not be considered serious enough to be a claim after year two of the NHBC policy.

The next problem you have is proving that the fault is a latent defect i.e. it was there but not apparent when you entered into the contract. The 12 year limit is for contracts signed under deed. I take you are the original owner?

Personally I think the cost you would incur proving that the fault is due to the builders negligence, employing a solicitor when the builder tells you they are not liable and all your personal time, you would be better advised to have the roof repaired and forget about claiming. That is unless the defect is so great that that the whole roof requires stripping. That would be then worth looking at again.

At the moment you do not know where it is leaking or for how long or indeed if something totally unrelated to the original builder caused it.

I am looking at this practically from my experience with house builders and the NHBC. People I have dealt with in the past sometimes wish they hadn't bothered!

If you did decide to claim you would have to collate evidence of your claim with the help of a surveyor and then approach the builder.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: riccy

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the reply trickygj. In response to your question, yes, I am the first owner of the property.

I accept your point with regards to the policy being expired but, from the view of the roofer, the fault has been there for some considerable time (ie well within the 10year NHBC warranty). This is obvious from the state of the underfelt, which has rotted.

Unfortunately, the fault does require the roof to be stripped and therefore scaffolding will be required (this is where much of the cost will lie). The ball park figure for remedial work is £2000. I understand that the NHBC minimum claim is £900 so we are well within that figure (sadly, in some respect).

Again, I take your point with regards to the costs involved in fighting the builders / NHBC and if this was simply a case of a £500 repair I would (begrudgingly) pay. Indeed, if I thought that this was a simple case of a maintenace repair, then I wouldn't have an issue. However, as you can imagine, I'm loathed to spend such a large sum on major roof work at such an early stage in its life.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
As you are probably aware the NHBC policy runs for 10 years maximum although years 3 to 10 are for major (mainly structural) defects. The first 2 years the builder puts rights the defect direct.

If the fault was not notified within the NHBC policy period you have no claim...period. It matters not that the leak may have started in the period.

The cost of putting your case together against the builder will no doubt outstrip the roof repair, costs you may never recover. No matter how bitter this is to swallow I would find the leak and have it repaired.

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
If the fault was not notified within the NHBC policy period you have no claim...period. It matters not that the leak may have started in the period.

That's very disappointing!! We were literally days out of the 10 year warranty when the leak first became apparent.

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
There is nothing to stop you approaching the builder to see what their response is but you first need to identify exactly the problem. You could then say with certainty what the latent defect is. You never know they might just be willing to cooperate. At least you would know if you have an expensive fight on your hands.

I do hope you get somewhere with them but let us know anyway what they say.

davemk

Aug 24, 2013
Well, thought I'd update this thread after the helpful advice I received.

The builder, as suggested, refused to accept any liability for the fault. I had a friend-of-a-friend who, as a second job, is a roofer. He had a look and lifted a few tiles around the back guttering and discovered that the lead flashing had been folded downwards so it appeared that any water was flowing down onto the felting. It would have been like this since being built.

He has rectified that and we've had no problem since.

Thanks for all the advice.

MarkKennedy

Oct 12, 2021
لا يمكنك حل جميع المشاكل مع عضو وكنت لا تعرف ماذا تفعل ؟ في هذه الحالة ، أوصي بشدة بمحاولة لفت انتباهك إلى هذا الموقع ، حيث أتمكن دائما من حل المشكلات مع أحد الأعضاء