Tesco Mobile

kathrynklloyd

Sep 6, 2013
Hi My daughters has a capped contract phone with Tesco it is 10 months old.About 3 weeks ago it stopped texting and calling and nobody can text or call her either.I checked her usage and was still within her limit so I rang tesco who said they would issue me with a new Sim card to see if this would rectify the problem.So we waited a few days and tried the new sim.She was still able to browse the internet via the phone but still not call or text.I rung Tesco again and was told that the hanset would need looking at.They sent out a bag to return the phone.In the meantime she used a very old mobile with the Tesco sim inside it and no calling or texting problems,just could not go online as the old phone is not capable.
I runv tesco repair center after a few days as I had not had any comformation that tgey had got the phone.I was told it was in the process of being repaired. The next dat I had a letter saying that the phone was not under warranty as It had damage to the phone.I told them there is no damage to the phone,it just does not call or text.The bill for repair would be £84.95 .I said there is no damage to the phone send it back I want to see.
The phone came back and its as I sent it. The repair centre say the LCD screen bracket is damaged and so is the usb port connection therefore could not repair the calling issue as I did not want to pay for damaged repair.I have charged the phone and it allows me to do everything online and take pictures and play music etc it just does not text or call.I get a message saying network service is unavailable.I ring tesco who then talk me through a factory and master reset and neither these resolve the calling issue.
What do I do now? I cannot see the phone is damaged,the only issue is it wont call or text.They say i have to pay for the damaged things before I can have the other issue seen too.Whatever they say is wrong with my phone I am adamant it does not effect to use the phone.We dont think its broken.I am taking the phone into a store tomorrow so I can show a member of staff that the phone is fine but wont ring.Am I within my rights to cancel my contract if they refuse to deal with this?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They have to provide you with a working phone as part of your contract and the only solutionI can see for you on this one Iis that you take it to an independant repairer and get a report on the problem, if it turns out not to be accidentally damaged, you can claim any costs back from Tesco.

They should also be refunding your contract charges while your daughter doesn't have a working phone.

If the phone screen is damaged but there is another issue causing the problem, they cannot use the screen as an excuse not to fix the phone, nor can they make you pay to have the repair done, you can choose not to have the screen repaired.

kathrynklloyd

Sep 6, 2013
Thank you for the reply , I am going in to store today to show them that screen works fine my daughter has never had issue with it . I will let yoj know what response I get later.