DFS sofa not fit for purpose

Kate_cb

Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

We are hoping to get some advice. Against everybody's recommendations, six months ago, we decided to go ahead and buy a lovely corner sofa, with footstool and armchair from DFS. The interest free credit offer seemed very good - as was the customer service. We had just got married and this was our first (and only) big, brand new purchase. It was nerve wracking to do, but we were really excited.

When the sofa arrived it looked great, we were really happy. But within a few months we began to notice it looking a bit tired and that the seat cushions seemed to be flattening right down. Now six months on, our sofa looks maybe two years old - the seat cushions are so misshapen they don't properly fit the chair, everyday I have to pull them off and rearrange the whole sofa to try and make it more comfortable. The material on the seat cushions looks worn out and old and slightly discoloured. I can't believe this a six month old sofa! And we have interest free credit for 4 years… I can't even see it lasting that long.

We contacted DFS and finally a service manager came out. The guy was not what we'd expected at all. I was at work, so my wife met him. She ended up calling me to speak to him because they were just going round in circles. He completely and point blank denied there was anything wrong with the sofa. It is not, in his opinion, faulty - that when you sit on it you can feel the wooden bars underneath, and the fabric isn't worn out, it just 'needs a brush'. It was an incredibly frustrating experience, I eventually said to him that he'd clearly been told by DFS that he could not agree that the sofa was faulty. However, in our conversation (which I sincerely wish we'd recorded), here are a few things he did say:
  • "Your expectations are too high to expect that much from DFS"
  • "This sofa is designed to be pretty". When my wife asked 'So not functional, just pretty' - he said nope, it's designed for the way it looks
  • "You can feel the wooden bars underneath on ALL sofas"
  • "Whether or not the quality isn't great is not my decision, it's not FAULTY. I look at if it's faulty."

We're so disappointing, and pretty disgusted too with the whole thing. I'm going to ring Barclay's Finance on the weekend and ask their advice as our credit is with them. As far as I'm concerned DFS are more than aware their sofas are not of a good standard and not fit for purpose.

Anyone got any advice on where we can go from here? At this point, we just want to return it as I can't see it lasting the four years.

Thanks,
Kate and Nic

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The clue is in your title, you didn't buy the sota to look pretty, you bought it as a functional piece of furniture and under the Sale of Goods Act, it must be both fit fir purpose and of satisfactory quality.

You need to write a formal letter of complaint to Head Office, they have 8 weeks to respond after which you can either go to the Financial Ombudsman, due to the credit element, or to the Small Claims Court.

CustomerservicesDFS

Mar 12, 2013
We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with your furniture. We would love to see if we can help so please contact us on 01302 330365 and ask for the Customer Service Department.

Kind regards

Customer Service - DFS

LJ1

Jan 22, 2014
Hi Kate... I was just wondering how you got on with your case? Did you take it to an ombudsman? Hope it's all gone well...

benbenjamin

Feb 20, 2014
Yeah hi kate.......

I was wondering as well how did the case go? hope its going good!!!!!!;)

take care