Faulty tv out of warranty, store wants me to foot the bill.

no5con

Nov 14, 2013
Hello

Would greatly appreciate some expert advise.
I purchased a Panasonic plasma tv with my credit card last July, and two weeks ago the tv refused to turn on. The power light won't even turn on and the one year warranty has expired.
The Panasonic store will only send an engineer at a cost to me and god knows what the repair will cost.
I have sent a few emails and this is their response the most recent email is quoted first.

"Afternoon Mr
Every t.v purchased from this store between 2010 - present included a 5yr warranty if you have not validated your warranty when purchased there is very little we can do to help you, We all stress the importance of validating warranty to all our customers on all purchases big and small to avoid situations like this, the only way we can provide an engineer to come out to look at your set will be at a charge of £80 (Inspection fee only).
To pursue your statutory rights I suggest you contact Panasonic Warranty direct on 0844 844 3899,

Kind Regards
Panasonic store

To Panasonic store

The tv is out of warranty. I'm not claiming from the warranty I am exercising my statutory right.
Is it unreasonable of me to expect an expensive tv from a big brand not to completely breakdown after one year and three months?
When you say costs to me, what exact costs are you referring to?
Also before I wrote my email when did you try to make contact to find out the status of the warranty and arrange a visit.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please provide us with the serial number of your TV as panasonic cannot find any details
Regarding your application for 5 year warranty when you purchased the set, before we can proceed we will need to get confirmation on status of warranty.
Once we have got confirmation we will arrange a visit by an engineer which we can also do as
The product is out of the manufacturers warranty, this would be at a cost to you.
Which is what we a trying to do by trying to confirm warranty status before we book an engineer.

Kind Regards
Panasonic Store Staines
Sent from my iPad

Dear Sir/Madam

I purchased a Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV from Panasonic Store Staines on 23/07/12 for £1349 and it is not of satisfactory quality.

The problem is that after one year and three months the TV will not power up at all. The standby light nor any lights on the TV will turn on and it is completely in-operational.

After contacting your store we were assured an engineer will be sent around. But after repeated efforts to arrange one, your store has still not contacted an engineer to arrange an appointment.

I am writing to you to ensure you repair or replace my television as my contract is with you and it is reasonable to expect an expensive Plasma TV to last longer than this. As you are aware, this is one of my statutory rights as defined in the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Please arrange for my TV to be replaced or repaired within seven days from receipt of this letter as I am going on holiday on the 18th November and cannot afford to have my time wasted any further.

Yours faithfully,"

Any suggestions on how I should proceed next?

no5con

Nov 14, 2013
Am I being unreasonable to expect a brand new tv to last longer than this?
Any way I can use section75 of the consumer credit act?