Know Your Rights – Self Employment

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Most self-employed people are not entitled to any employment benefits from their clients. However, if a self-employed person meets the definition of an "employee", perhaps because the client has decided to put the person on the payroll, or the definition of a "worker", there may be entitlement to some employment and statutory benefits.
From http://paypershop.com/faq/entitled.html

Paul Carcone
Carcone Consulting

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I know a lot of IT Contractors that do whatever they can not to be classed as a "Worker" because of the tax implications. There was legislation called IR35 that was introduced to make it difficult for them.

Tony

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
IR35 really does need a close look...anyone even considering setting themselves up as self employed would be well advised to be able to clearly justify their choice if pressed by HRMC.

Fortunately, the HRMC website is full of good information but, even if that is all a bot much, some free advice from a good accountant is often available.

Paul Carcone

Brent

Sep 17, 2008
Lancashire
Paul

Be careful you are not breaching Intellectual Property with your post as a very similar (word for word) article is at .paypershop.com/faq/entitled.html

brent

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Brent,

I have quoted out this post and linked to source - well spotted.

Tony

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
Erm...I actually wrote the article

Brent...

Yes...good spot....I write for a lot of people on small businesses (as you would expect of a management consultant) but I ensure that I retain the ability to re-use my comments elsewhere.

Paul Carcone