LG 42LC55 flickering and black screens

steveybop

Sep 1, 2014
Hi all,

I've bought this TV off gumtree and it seemed fine when I viewed it but when I've got it home I've got a flickering and black screen problem.

I've took the back off and looked at the capacitors, they are seem clean with no bulging, although I may not have too the screws off every panel to inspect it all.

I did spot what appears to be a failed component, don't know what its called, I've attached a photo. it's a different colour to all the other blue ones, which suggests this may have leaked?

The symptoms seem to change every time I turn on the TV

1) The tv sometimes doesn't display anything, total black screen apart from sound.

2) The tv will work perfectly, then 5 minutes later it will go black and flicker

3) The tv will flicker straight away and then after about 5 minutes it will be perfect.

Generally after 5-10 mins of turning off and on and changing inputs it sorts itself out and is perfect for hours on end.

I'm using a HDMI cable from a Humax HD freeview box into the TV. I've bought a brand new cable so it's not that, and I've tried both HDMI ports, they seem to have the same symptons.

Also the TV menu itself appears fuzzy and flickers which I guess is not from the HDMI cable, so it appears the problem doesn't relate to the input source.

Any ideas?

I can't post videos or images yet due to forum permissions

Thanks

Steve