Problems getting faulty chair repaired

Helsie

Sep 30, 2014
Hi, We bought a swivel chair from the 'Next' sale in Dec 2013 - we could not see the picture online and we bought it because they had significantly reduced the price (although still expensive) and we like the Next style. Due to ongoing building work in our home, the delivery people delivered the chair into a spare storage downstairs room (away from all building work). They did not offer to unpack the chair and there was so much packaging we could not even see what the chair looked like. We decided to keep the packaging on the chair until the building work was complete and we were ready to use the chair - the chair was not moved, unpackaged or used in this time.
Due to issues with the building work and a bereavement, we weren't in a position to move the chair into place until Aug this year. When we unpackaged it, it was obvious that the swivel chair was wonky and listed at an angle.
I contacted the retailer who after rearranging the appointment many times, finally got an engineer to inspect the chair. His opinion was that there was no manufacturer fault and that the chair had been dropped - he could not determine by whom obviously. He recognised that the chair was like new and he could see it had not been used. I categorically stated that the chair had not been dropped whilst in our property.
also, Since he fiddled around with the chair it chair is more wonky than it was before!
The retailer has spoken with me and said that it is their opinion that we dropped the chair and that because we bought it in Dec it is tough luck.
We have a chair that is faulty through no fault of our own.
What can we do?