Extension behind schedule - what do we do?

cocoa

Oct 17, 2014
Hello,

We hired a builder to start work on our 2 storey extension in July. He said it would take 16 weeks and the contract also states that. However 16 weeks is fast approaching (10th Nov) and the second story isn't even up yet and no brickwork has started.

There has been no work done on the extension in 3 weeks. During that time we had plumbers turn up to move our boiler but that is it.

We had a site meeting and he said there's plenty of work still to be done - then why isn't it getting done!? The weather had mostly been fine for about 2 weeks, but now it's raining almost every day, so now work is getting done because of that.

This week, when covering the hole in the wall from the rain, he burst our mains water pipe in the loft. I didn't notice for over an hour and by that time, the loft had flooded and water was coming through the light sockets and plasterboard joins into the rooms below. We called him to arrange a plumber and he said his plumber didn't want to come and fix it, so we had to arrange our own. He has not been back since to apologise or check what damage has been done - surely that would be common courtesy when almost flooding someone's home!?

We are very angry with the builder now and it's proven that he doesn't care about his customer.

We have paid no money in advance so we're not losing out - only on time (and of course the plumber, which we will withold payment for)

We desperately need this extension finished as our baby is still sleeping with us because we have no room for a cot! She is starting to crawl now and her crib is not going to be safe for much longer.

I would love some advice on where can we go from here, how do we approach him and how do we demand that we want this finished? My husband and I both dislike confrontation so we're not sure what to say and how to say it?

Thanks!