Accident at traffic lights/cross road

MisterC83

Mar 2, 2015
Good Morning All,

I think I know the answer to my query, but I'd like some advice anyway

The scene is a slightly staggered cross road, main road is 4 lanes wide, no barriers, the joining roads are just 2 lanes.

I was on the main road waiting in the outside lane in the junction to turn right as the approaching cars pass.

A stream of 4 cars go past me in the opposite outside lane with nothing visibly behind them so I make the move to turn as the final car passes, which I then found had been shrouding a guy on a scooter on the inside lane

The guy has hit the front of my car as I'm at a 45 degree angle, he wasn't too badly hurt, he did hit his head on the bonnet, and the damage to his bike wasn't too bad, just cosmetic panels, I'm not worried about the damage to my car.

From other incidents I've read on here, it's my fault, I should have been giving way to the oncoming traffic, but my issue is the guys road positioning. I'm a biker myself and it pains me to say I didn't see him but he genuinely did not help himself here. Way back in my lessons you are taught to make yourself as big as possible and make yourself as visible as you can at all times, which is how I ride, moving my road position

Sure, he shouldn't have had to worry about me coming across the road but he should have at least been running parallel with the cars or directly behind them, not diagonally behind them

What percentage of liability should I take? Optimistically 50% is the absolute most I can hope for, but unlikely