Council Gym No Signed Contract - Can I Cancel???

Lynne

Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Just been trawling the internet and came accross this site :) very informative though can't find my problem covered.

Basically I went to a localish Council run Leisure Centre yesterday for an induction at their gym. You pay £8 for the induction session then can either pay as go on each visit or you can take a membership out (and get your induction back).

I decided yesterday to take a membership for a year as this would save loads over the pay as you go system and it includes the pool facilities, classes etc.

To be fair there was no sales pitch or pressure but I did not sign any contract, I was not given any paperwork, not even a brochure about class, pool times etc (I had to pick this up myself) just paid by my debit card (single lump sum) at the main desk and was given a plastic card.

Tonight I went back for my 1st proper visit, I discovered that the car park was pay and display until 6pm and all day on Saturdays, I found the womens dry changing area was at the oposite end of the building to the gym (they did not give me a tour of the premises yesterday), the lockers are 20p each time. I then got into the gym which was packed, just managed to move between machines when there were vacanies (they did not discuss the busy times with me yesterday). I came home tonight to discover the public pool times are not that conveinient for me and I basically feel that on second look this gym is not for me.

I now feel really silly as I have a years membership that is not as appealing. I called the leisure centre to ask if there was a cooling off period (I will obviously pay for my induction period and tonights session no probs), I was told no not unless there was a very good reason. I feel as though my reasons are adequate and mainly as I have no paperwork I feel it is a little mis sold? She is going to get someone to call me tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone can see if I have any legal grounding for a refund?

Thanks to anyone who has read my ramblings and for any assistance.

Lynne

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Lynne, Welcome to the forum. A contract does not need to be written down to exist, but it is only worth as much as the paper that it is written on. It is incredibly shoddy to have no contract, but this in itself does not give you an automatic right to a cooling off period. The terms of the contract is based on the conversation you had with the staff member, but the fact that they didn't mention things to you such as crowding, locker costs etc. does not mean there has been a breach - unless they told you they were free and the gym was always empty. Is there anything that they told you that was misleading?

However, I am sure they won't hold you to this given the circumstances.

I hope this helps

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
My experience with council gyms is that if you make any fuss about something they will give in just to make you go away. Your reasons seem sound and I'm sure if you make clear that you're going to keep hassling them until you get what you want, they will give you a refund. Good luck.