La Z Boy and SCS

alan1905

Sep 9, 2015
My wife has arthritic spine with degenerative disc disorder, so selecting the suite that best suited her needs was paramount.
After sitting in dozens of sofa in dozens of shops we found what we thought was the best buy, a La Z Boy Manhattan.
My wife had sat in the manual recliner chair and kept saying how this had relieved the pain in her spine, we went away to return to the SCS shop to place the order. My wife again sat in the manual recliner and repeated to the sales lady that " this is the suite for me".
The sales lady proceeded to take the order, we then decided to add the power option as this would enable to allow my wife to select a leg position that would reduce the pain dependant on how she felt on any given day.
so, order place and the suit arrived 10 weeks later.
The very first time we sat on the sofa we said it has a totally different feel and nowhere as comfortable as the display model.
We went back to SCS to complain to the manager, who was rather negative and would not do anything without a technician visiting the house and checking the sofa and chair.
I asked for a single comfy chair to borrow as the suite was not good enough and that drew a blank. Called customer services who distanced them selves from the problem and put the onus on the store manager to resolve, but he would keep repeating a technician needed to visit and make a report.
The manager stated, as I was leaving the shop that due to the difference in manual and power recliner construction La Z Boy use different springs in the base cushion!!!!
So I had to go to a charity shop to buy a second hand chair to allow my wife to be able to sit down while the investigation progressed.
The technician called and arranged a visit, I asked him to go in store and test the difference in the base cushion tension as the manual chair was different to the power recliners as the manager had said the about the different manufacturing process. I expected the technician to arrive and say its the correct sofa we ordered and there is no difference in the quality, and this is exactly what happened, I guess being an SCS employee why would he go against the paymaster.
on his report he said there is nothing wrong as expected.
I wrote the opposite saying its a different sofa as the seat construction is not what we wanted or expected.
Any advice on the best way forward would be gratefully received.

Alan1905

alan1905

Sep 9, 2015
I called customer service today to get an update and they are saying it's the sofa we ordered from the shop. Guess I will have a futile time trying to get a refund or replacement due to mis-selling.
Be warned not to use SCS as the customer service is a joke. They state " getting a agreed solution" on the paperwork, yeah right.
:mad::mad::mad:

MrEgg

Sep 22, 2015
I have a lazyboy from SCS & noticed one seat was softer than the other after delivery (as you are aware the units are individual & slot together) - A technician came out & put extra foam in the underside to firm it up. While not exactly happy with this 'fix' (as to me its a workaround) - it did cure the problem.

Not sure why SCS technician hasnt offered or done the same. Have you contacted laz-y-boy/servico directly? Servico do the laz-y-boy warranty stuff IIRC

alan1905

Sep 9, 2015
I contacted citizens advice, they said it was mis sold to me under the sale of goods act because SCS had not mentioned the difference in foam/spring combination between the election recliner and the manual recliner my wife sat in when deciding to place the order.
Citizens advice took all the detail and passed them on to trading standards so they had a record if needed
They said my first port of call was to go back and speak to the store manager then send a letter to head office and keep a copy ( template letters available on CA Web site )
CA did say that the onus was on me to prove that the sales assistant had omitted to tell me about the different manufacturing of the various chairs and sofas in the same range.
lucky for me when I returned to the store the manager was on holiday, who was unpleasant to deal with and a deputy was there. He called the area manager who authorised for us to reselected any sofa up to the value we spent. We decided to upgrade from La Z Boy to G Plan and paid the difference in value.
my advice is for anyone with a genuine complaint NEVER GIVE IN to SCS not to replace mis sold items.