In dispute with house builder outside NHBC warranty

Jupes

Jan 29, 2016
Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some advice please.....

My home bought from new, 16 years ago on a small development by a local builder (NHBC guarantee which has obviously finished). The house details when I purchased it stated cavity wall insulation (although I no longer have a copy of this). I have recently had a new kitchen fitted which necessitated the kitchen fitters going through the outside wall to fit a new hood. They found there was no cavity insulation in the wall.....

Two of my neighbours who have also lived here from new have done the same and both have insulation in their walls.

I contacted the builders and spoke with the MD who said he would look into it and did say that whatever they had done specification wise would have been the same for all the houses.

I then received a letter from him stating that the house was built to the current building regulations and to achieve the required 'U' value for external walls, they used 125mm Durox supabloc as an inner skin to the cavity wall which negated the need for any form of insulation in the cavity and that all properties were constructed in the same manner and if a neighbour has cavity insulation this was incorporated after being handed over by them.

I emailed back clarifying the details and stating that the neighbours have been in from new, do have insulation and if this had been done post-handover there would be visible signs on the exterior properties of which there is not. I asked for him to send someone round to check the type of brick and cavity.

I then received this reply:- Further to your email in response to our letter of 22nd instant we wish to respond as follows;

As previously stated your property was built in 1998/1999 to the Building Regulations relevant at that time. A Building Regulation Compliance Certificate would have been issued upon completion.

We cannot offer an explanation with regard to your comment about some properties on the development having cavity insulation from the outset. Other than if this is correct then it may have been done to satisfy the ‘U’ value of that particular property.

Notwithstanding this fact we do not consider we have a case to answer as your property was built to the correct standards and signed off accordingly.

So, my question is what should I do next? We have suffered with damp and mould, wall cracks and have just had to have new windows fitted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edward Jones

Aug 5, 2016
Re: Jonathan Walker Cowboy Builder

Jonathan P Walker COWBOY BUILDER

This person is the worst, he traded as REEF Homes and built unsafe houses, the last one took 140,000 to put right, this is borne out by the litigation, the out of court settlement and the planning officer of Beverley in East Yorkshire.
He has since changed his name to WOODHOUSE (Lund) Ltd and building the same unsafe properties as he did before. He will be caught again but he just changes his company and moves on. He has connections in the Council as he was a council Leader and his family take turns to hold that position (his uncle is now in that position) his family are the biggest landowners and his wife has the Nursery also in the village, also the Beverley council keep giving him planning permission, so something is wrong there as well.
Please can you help as someone will get hurt of even killed if he is not stopped, I have tried but the village council under the family control override it.