Part of set faulty

Yorkie1

Jan 24, 2009
Hello all,

Hi from Yorkshire!

I hope someone can help me.

I bought a duvet cover, matching pillowcases and co-ordinating sheets a couple of weeks ago. They were all separate items and reduced by 50%.

When I unwrapped the duvet cover and put it on the bed today, it had 4 marks on it. It's a cream one so they are fairly visible. I've rung the store and they've said to bring it in - I didn't want to wash it first in case they didn't accept that the marks were there from new but arose from use.

I think they will do what they can about replacing the duvet cover, but it might be a discontinued line.

My question relates to the other, related items. They are useless without the duvet cover. I don't want to have to return them unnecessarily, but in the event that the duvet can't be sorted out to my satisfaction, what are my rights? If I have to have a refund for the duvet, can I ask for a refund for the other items too?

Many thanks.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Yorkie,

Welcome to the forum and great question. Unfortunately, the shop wouldn't be obliged to give you a refund on the other items - there is no provision for this in law.

You probably could have made this a condition of sale, perhaps by getting a note saying that you are buying them as a set i.e one item. Is this realistic?

The good news most reasonable people would give you all the money back on
all the items even though they don't have to.

Good luck

Tony

Yorkie1

Jan 24, 2009
Many thanks for your helpful (and really speedy :)) reply, Tony.

The shop has exchanged the faulty cover so fingers crossed that the new one is ok!

Cheers

Yorkie1