Wrong Price

shopaholic

Jan 30, 2009
Hi, hopefully I have posted this in the correct place !
Just a couple of things I wanted to clarify that have happened to me recently, I would like to safeguard myself for future reference.

I recently went into a high street stoer and wanted to purchase an item that was marked at £150 (it was in the sale reduced from £250). When I got to the till I was told the item had been incorrectly marked uo and the cost was £199. I thought they were obliged to sell the item to me at that price. There were identical items on the rail all marked incorrectly (possibly 3 or 4). Please can you advise my legal rights on this.

Also, I returned a purse that I had had for maybe a year as the zip had brokern, I paid £59.95 for at the time, but no longer had proof of purchase. They offered me the sale price for it not the full amount, can they do this ?

Many thanks

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Hi,

The purse is a tricky one I think, given the length of time you have had it and that you have no proof of purchase. I think you should take what they offer you as legally I'm not sure they are obliged to offer you anything at all. I might be wrong on that though.

I'm sure somebody else will be able to assist with this and your other query. Good luck! :)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

The purse is a tricky one I think, given the length of time you have had it and that you have no proof of purchase. I think you should take what they offer you as legally I'm not sure they are obliged to offer you anything at all. I might be wrong on that though.

I'm sure somebody else will be able to assist with this and your other query. Good luck! :)
That is correct Shalloran - and a source of a lot of complaints.

With regard to the matter of incorrect pricing this is potential a criminal issue and not a consumer one.

Incorrect Pricing

Incorrect or misleading pricing information is a common cause for complaint and is covered in these regulations.
Firstly, you should be clear that shops are not legally obliged to sell you their products and reserve the right not to do so if they wish. This means that if you pick up something which is wrongly priced, you do not have a right to buy it at that price. Having said this however, it is still unlawful for shops and suppliers to display an item at a price which is different to the price requested at the point of sale. Exceptions to this are obvious mistakes where, for example, a TV is priced at £8.99 instead of £899.00. An action is also misleading if it includes the manner in which the price is calculated and whether the item is being marketed as ‘discount’ or ‘for a limited time only’ - when in fact it is not.

Where the price given does not include taxes, delivery charges or any additional surcharges such as handling or admin fees, this is considered to be a misleading omission.
From: Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 | Consumer Information

So you could report them to Trading Standards for this and they might get fined but it won't help you to get the item at the marked price.

Who was it?

Tony

peter_taylor

Sep 20, 2009
Not sure if this is the correct forum however;

I have recently instructed a solicitor who quoted his costs ant £110 per hour, however in a recent letter buried in small print his hourly rate has been revised and is now £180, there was not discussion and nothing in the covering letter to draw my attention to the change. Is this correct, can they do that?