Fraudulent cheque put into my son's account

Antioch

Jan 30, 2009
My son is very distressed. Last week he realised that his debit card was missing as he needed to put his birthday cheque into his account. He telephoned Abbey for a new card and while waiting was told that his account had been blocked as a cheque for £91,000 had been put into his account in an Essex branch and it had bounced, On that day it was put in he was attending college and his college said they would give him a letter to verify this. He went to his branch who told him he must withdraw all his money and they must close the account. He did this and then they said he must open an account in another bank.

This is totally unfair, its not his fault and why must he be expelled from Abbey. He has regular payments of EMA and also I pay £30 a month into his account to support him. Why was he penalised because someone had cloned,stolen ect his card. They should had changed his account details only. What can we do ? Where can we get advice over this. The women at the bank said this is happening everywhere but why penalise him. Please help

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum. This is the second case in the last month that has been posted here. Have you seen this?

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/financial-services/2117-please-help-money-appeared-my-bank-account.html

Others will be able to advise on banking better than me, but I would assume that banks don't have to offer their services to all. And if they don't want you to be their customer they can probably give you notice to leave, but there must be rules about this. I know Egg recently withdrew credit cards from a large number of customers and required immediate repayment.

Tony

glider3560

Apr 9, 2009
Others will be able to advise on banking better than me, but I would assume that banks don't have to offer their services to all. And if they don't want you to be their customer they can probably give you notice to leave, but there must be rules about this. I know Egg recently withdrew credit cards from a large number of customers and required immediate repayment.
You are correct - they don't have to have anyone as a customer. I think if a cheque for £91,000 has been returned unpaid, the bank wouldn't give any notice.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
I think you need to take this further with the bank. He could well have had his whole identity stolen, which throws his credit rating into doubt, and will affect student finance etc. You really need if neccesary to call the police in and also check his credit rating with someone like experian to see what else is going on.