Misleading sales staff

mr mole

Feb 5, 2009
I purchased a set top recorder box (the kind you can download your top up TV onto ) from a shop in my area on 4th December 2008.
Now after two weeks it started to play up and not record properly, so I phoned the shop who sugested I take it into there shop for them to look at , which I did,the couldn`t even get the box to power up , I had to show them how to do it , they sugested that I try again at home and to give there service engineer a call , which I did , he said to take it back to the shop again for them to collect it for repair.......................they had it for 4 days and still could not find the fault , so I had to go to the shop again to collect it .................by this time I was getting realy annoyed .
Anyhow , today (5/2/09 was the final straw, this set top bax has stopped working properly , so I took it to the shop once again , and the manager said " I`m sorry we cannot give you a refund ,due to it being longer than 28 days from purchase, " I hit the roof and told her she was talking from the back of her neck " ...........................and demanded a refund, she said she would have to contact there area head office to get comformation about my refund .........................I`m still waiting

Now can someone shed some light on this so called 28 day rueling?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hello Mr. Mole,

The 28 day is something made up by the shop I guess it is Comet or Currys. In terms of your statutory rights you need to give them the opporunity to repait the item, then replace it and finally refund you. It is interesting that they only told you about the 28 day policy after it had expired...

Tony