We just can't resist prices ending in 99p

Joe

May 9, 2008
This is really interesting psychology, so we must alway remind oursleves to round up. It is not just the pence but the pounds that they use this trick with.

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
This really gets on my nerves.

As I type I have a pocket full of completely useless coppers because shops just can't resist this kind of thing.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
The psychology of this pricing strategy is really quite simple. However, you will have noticed that some supermarkets (such as Sainsburies) have moved away from it and are now selling items in whole £s.

I suppose as fewer of us are using cash (I can't remember the last time I paid for groceries in cash!), the pocket-full of coppers is less likely to materialise. Even if it does, put it all in a piggy-bank.

For a few years, I put ALL of my change at the end of each day in a large tin and this ended up being more than I needed to buy Christmas presents for my extended family and a few social pre-Christmas beers!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
loose change

I hate small change too and I do the same as Paul, unfortunately my wife loves change and loves counting out exacty the right money at the till which really annoys me and means I am missing out on a free night out...

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
change , the saviour of the doley!

I spent a period of time on the dole {not an experience I ever wish to repeat} and many times small change was a saviour because we'd keep it all then use it to pay for groceries when the money had run out.
AHave to say, it's a great way to upset surly shop staff when you try and pay for a loaf of bread, some bacon and baked beans in 1ps and 2ps :p
I still collect up my small change and transfer any amounts less than a pound out of my account into my savings once a week. It soon adds up.:cool: