Littlewoods Being a Pain

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Hi,

I have an account with Littlewoods Direct where I pay for whatever I've ordered either in full or at 0% interest. I have not used the account in months and decided to close it. It is currently £18 in credit through me overpaying at some point.

I phoned to close the account and get a cheque for the amount owed to me and was absolutely gobsmacked by the answer. The rep wanted to know exactly how I had managed to overpay the account. I told her that I must have accidentally made an overpayment somewhere along the line. She then asked if this had been by card or cash. It was over 6 months ago so I really can't remember. It could have been either, but I told her I couldn't see how that was relevant.

After a lot of being put on hold she came back and told me that unless I could tell her the method I used to overpay the account they could not close the account or refund my money. In the end I gave her my phone number to call me back, but she was totally disinterested by that point.

What's the best thing I can do here? Surely they must have my payment history on record and if my account is in credit then it's in credit.

Thanks!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly I'd try registering for online account management where you can check back over your statements, not sure if this will work retrospectively but as its the simplest option its got to be worth a try.

If that fails, ask them for a statement of account for the past twelve months, if they refuse your request, send them a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, this will cost you £10 but by law they have to provide all the data they hold on you and have 40 days to do so when you have proven they owe you the £18, I would ask them for the tenner back as well.

When you speak to anyone on the phone, always get a name and ask if they are adding a note to your account regarding the phone call.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It might be worth just phoning again, you might get a completely different response. If you don't ask to escalate to a manger and if that fails ask them what their formal complaint procedure is.

It is common for organisation to have the policy mentioned - it is to prevent money laundering and fraud e.g. pay with one card or cash (perhaps stolen) then get it refunded to another. A manager will be able to approve a payment if this is not the case.

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I can understand that Littlewoods has a fraud prevention policy but this seems ridiculous. Surely they could send a cheque to the address they have on file for you, thus preventing any possible fraud? I agree with Tony, try again in case you got a random numpty the first time and then complain.

shalloran

Jan 23, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex.
Thanks for the advice! I did what you suggested Tony and Glasgow Girl, and phoned again. Spoke to a lovely woman. Just told her I wanted to close my account and didn't go into the complication of the other phonecall. She didn't ask any questions and simply said they would forward on a cheque by the end of the week. Will see if I get one, but that was so much easier.

Thanks for explaining the policy. I can understand that now, but I wish the woman I spoke to first could have explained it to me too. Grr!