Insurance Compare Sites...

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Guys,

My insurance is due up for renewal next month and there now seems to be a real glut of compare sites out there. Now, whilst my initial thoughts are to use the funny meerkat site, it isnt necessarily the best way to save a few bob. Who have you all found most successful??

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
I always use go compare, always works for me and it is simple and saves me money every time;)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
There was a programme on the telly this week about comparison sites (or perhaps I sky+ it weeks ago) anyway, basically they said that some comparison sites promote the companies that give them the best commission and that some insurance companies 'strip down' their policies to get them the highest ranking for the cheapest quote, basically, they said compare the comparison sites too!! sort of makes them a waste of time really doesn't it?

Check:

Excess amounts

Hire car (or replacement while in for repair)

Legal cover

Windscreen cover

That way you'll get a true comparison.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Thanks Witch. I had heard of the commission thing, which is why I am slightly cynical about it. Your advise is very sound.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
FSA Price Comparison

They are multi-million pound operations:

BBC NEWS | Business | Price comparison sites: deal or no deal?

There was an FSA review last year:

BBC NEWS | Business | 'Errors' in insurance price sites
FSA orders price comparison sites to provide accurate information - Business News, Business - The Independent

The FSA conculded:
A further Financial Services Authority (FSA) review of insurance comparison websites has found that many sites have made significant improvements and are consistently providing clear, fair and not misleading information, but some firms need to go further to address a few specific concerns.

The FSA visited a sample of the firms responsible for the 17 websites that were assessed during the initial review and found that many of them had made improvements to their websites and processes. However, the FSA has identified two specific areas where some firms need to make further improvements.
From: FSA concludes its review of insurance comparison websites